• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosban and Carbon Reactor

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Thanks Dave. However I already saw them long ago. They do not say how to pack or not pack the GFO.

Anyways, I got my GFO supplies Friday and I changed the GFO with a new canister. This one has some ROX AC as well mixed with GFO.

I DID NOT fill it all the way up. The canister has 2 inches of room on the top. I changed it and started the Maxijet.
Within minutes the whole GFO/carbon mix in the canister sort of accumulated into a mass and rose to the top of the canister.

I could see clear water in the bottom 2 inches of the canister. I reduced the flow but it did not change anything.
Now after 30 minutes or so, I see some tumbling in the bottom. It is weird since everyone said that he tumble should be at the top.

Any case so far the flow is OK = the GFO is not a solid mass yet. I will check everyday an see how this goes.

What a PITA this has been...

You are using a "dry" GFO, which has not wetted enough yet, thus it floats. Once wetted it will run as should. Also, I think many use to much in these reactors. This is due to the weight of a higher column vs a lower column, which makes the higher columm work poorly. 2" of space at the top, go for 3 " at the top and just change it more often. This lower column height will also reduce compaction