• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphate Testing - Vodka Dosing

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
whitebear1020 said:
Newbie here. Could you please explain what is Vodka Dosing? What kind? How? When? I had no idea you can add vodka to your tank. ;D

First thing I will tell you is, research, research & research vodka doing before you attempt it.

Basically Vodka (it needs to be 80 proof...40% alcohol by volume...any brand), acts as an organic carbon source. This carbon source, allows the bacteria that is already in our tanks to flourish even more. This extra bacteria then eats up all of the available nutrients (aka. nitrates & phosphates) in the tank, creating a zero to very low nutrient system.

This allows incredible polyp extension from your corals, much better vibrant coloration of your corals...and gets your fish nice and tipsy...JK. It also allows you to feed your tank more so that the corals can use this food for coloration, growth, etc.

That's it in a nutshell....check out this link for tons of info on vodka dosing: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vodka+Dosing

And keep asking questions here!! I love this stuff LOL.
LMAO!@ Link

I had been doing approx 15% every two weeks and now I am doing it every three weeks. The corals seem to look better if I prolong it.

Do you have sand or is it bare bottom?
Ken

ken6217 said:
I had been doing approx 15% every two weeks and now I am doing it every three weeks. The corals seem to look better if I prolong it.

Do you have sand or is it bare bottom?
Ken

Sand bottom.

Is it a DSB or just for aesthetics? If it just for aesthetics, make sure you gravel siphon it thoroughly when you do your maintenance. If there is sand in areas in the tank (back or under rocks) that you can't see when viewing the tank but can get to siphon out and get rid of, it is a good idea.
Ken

I like to call it a semi deep sand bed LOL.

It's about 2-3 inches deep....not just for aesthetics.

What is the concern with the sand bed?

I believe DSB aren't supposed to be touched. If they are setup correctly, they are supposed to help in nitrate reduction. Not sure about phosphates. Supposedly if you disturb the bed, it will release hydrogen sulfide in the bed and that would be a bad thing.

IMHO tanks are better off bare bottom, but that could start a war. :)

Ken

That sure can start a war HAHAHAHA!!

My sand bed does have bubbles in it that pop out every so often....or if I stir it up.

9supratt4 said:
That sure can start a war HAHAHAHA!!

My sand bed does have bubbles in it that pop out every so often....or if I stir it up.

Oh well. I guess some people can sit back, relax, and drink vodka, while other have to dose it. :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Ken

just a note on sand beds redusing nitrates. they do until the sand becomes saturated. then they begin to release nitrates and phosphates. If you clean it from the beginning and continue to maintain it during each water change it is a far less chance of releasing hydrogen sulphate.

9supratt4 said:
ken6217 said:
Oh well. I guess some people can sit back, relax, and drink vodka, while other have to dose it. :)
Ken

Hey I drink it while dosing ;D

I wonder if they done a study if Grey Goose or Belvedere works any better than than the off the shelf stuff?

reeferwanabe said:
just a note on sand beds redusing nitrates. they do until the sand becomes saturated. then they begin to release nitrates and phosphates. If you clean it from the beginning and continue to maintain it during each water change it is a far less chance of releasing hydrogen sulphate.

Interesting...so how exactly do you maintain the sand bed?? Are you supposed to just stir it up??

9supratt4 said:
reeferwanabe said:

Interesting...so how exactly do you maintain the sand bed?? Are you supposed to just stir it up??

I started my New build vodka dosing. I had AMAZING clarity and results in the tank itself. I then purchased the Brightwell Aquatics stuff. the Microbacter and Reef Bio Ful. Personally I like the Vodka myself. (SVEDKA) I'm about to do some major cleaning and a water change/sump clean in the next day or so. I don't think when the Brightwell stuff is finished that I will go back to the vodka instead of purchasing more. I liked the results with the vodka. Also with the vodka, I didn't have any algae blooms. I have algae bloom with the Microbacter and Reefbio Fuel. I did however notice that with the vodka that I didnt' get as much coraline. Instead mostly coraline on the rocks spread. Coraline on the glass dosen't seem to stick.

asonitez said:
I started my New build vodka dosing. I had AMAZING clarity and results in the tank itself. I then purchased the Brightwell Aquatics stuff. the Microbacter and Reef Bio Ful. Personally I like the Vodka myself. (SVEDKA) I'm about to do some major cleaning and a water change/sump clean in the next day or so. I don't think when the Brightwell stuff is finished that I will go back to the vodka instead of purchasing more. I liked the results with the vodka. Also with the vodka, I didn't have any algae blooms. I have algae bloom with the Microbacter and Reefbio Fuel. I did however notice that with the vodka that I didnt' get as much coraline. Instead mostly coraline on the rocks spread. Coraline on the glass dosen't seem to stick.

Thats good to hear about the coraline....I was worried it would leave my rocks as well.

Yeah just noticed that the Coraline a had on the rocks are actually holding steady. I think I reached my maintenance dosing at 1.6 ml didn't take long :p Which is a good thing because I think the Frogspawns may have been slightly affected in that they don't fully extend and the tentacle ends actually look a little smaller than when I didn't dose. ??? That side the skimmer is working hard and the skimmate is nice and dark. I'm trying to over feed as best as I can, but them clowns keep stealing all the food.

I'm also liking the fact that I can keep the lights on longer and not have to worry too much.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ken6217 said:
9supratt4 said:
ken6217 said:
Ken

Hey I drink it while dosing ;D

I wonder if they done a study if Grey Goose or Belvedere works any better than than the off the shelf stuff?
It don't matter what brand.. just don't use any vodka with flavorings

Treo360 said:
Yeah just noticed that the Coraline a had on the rocks are actually holding steady. I think I reached my maintenance dosing at 1.6 ml didn't take long :p Which is a good thing because I think the Frogspawns may have been slightly affected in that they don't fully extend and the tentacle ends actually look a little smaller than when I didn't dose. ??? That side the skimmer is working hard and the skimmate is nice and dark. I'm trying to over feed as best as I can, but them clowns keep stealing all the food.

I'm also liking the fact that I can keep the lights on longer and not have to worry too much.

Dosing vodka effects lrngth of the time the lights can be on?

Anecdotal (the lights)

I used to have my lights on for only 6-7 hours. I now have them on for about 10-12 and still no algae blooms of any kind. NItrates are holding steady. The Candy Canes are loving it as are my hammers. One of the heads are starting to split. I had a slight Diatom outbreak which is now gone.
Leather is holding firm, but that kenya isn't liking what's going on at all still. Same for the Froggy, I reduced the dosage slightly and skipped last weeks W/C. I'll do a bigger one Wed. at 10%

As far as fish behavior, well the male clown has decided to host the open brain. Which is kinda cool because it looks like a big bean bag pillow for the clown.