• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pods

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Great question!

I was just at Reefco and their bottles of tiger pods were $25 each.

I bought from BRS last time, and got a batch of their 5280 pods and a thing of Ocean Magik last time, as it was cheaper (and faster) from them then directly from Algae Barn...that was $60.

Word online has Dinkins is a good spot.

I want to seed my FOWLR tank...not sure if that's a thing, but I'm going to do it anyhow. :)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The thing with pods is to get as many different pods from different sources.
We got pods from an online vendor and the pods looked like sea horses they were huge. It was also cheap. I have gotten some from reef cleaners and it also came in a huge bag. I pick up the set from algea barn at the coral show. They also have it cheap since they don’t have to ship.

Time of year? Water temps?- I'd think late summer/ early fall would be the best time to collect them
I think you may be right. The pods I harvested from Belmar were in August
I never tried when it’s cold nor would I want to. I am not walking in the ocean with 40 degree water temps.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Did this a couple times down by Manasquan inlet - dog beach area.
Tried twice in spring. Grabbed lumps of seaweed and shook em out. Nada to minimum pods, plenty of dead seaweed and a few crabs.
Decided not to try anymore.
Last year during the late summer was down there.
On a whim picked up a seaweed (near the rocks) and shook it.
A friggin cloud of pods came out (as well as one or two of the nasarrius looking killer snails.
So, yeah, think its a warmer weather thing.

I got ebay pods and phyto. Put them in a couple gallon container with an air pump and breed the numbers up, you can keep them multiplying pretty easy for a few rounds