• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quick Lobster Question

Im about to introduce a purple lobster into my 28g reef, if im not 100% trusting of the source, should I freshwater bathe it? if so for how long? or should I just not get the lobster? I know that inverts cant get ich and such, I have head they can carry it

thank you in advanced

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
From what I understand lobsters have a general reputation of killing inverts, attempting to take down fish at night, and can pose a threat to corals. But, there is the argument that not all lobsters are equal. If it was me, I wouldn't risk it.

If not running a quarantine, A FW dip is very traumatic to the animal. It also only kills a certain stage of ich (the white dot stage) by causing osmotic shock but this shock also hits the animal itself. The FW dip should be exactly the same temp and pH as your main tank, drop animal in, ich dots rupture and die, fish back in tank. Dip time 10-12 minutes maximum (or until the animal becomes unresponsive to you poking it, if that happens get it back into the saltwater immediately).

Saying all that, if I were to get a purple lobster, I'd treat it like any other invert. Quick acclimation to salt and temp then drop right in. I'd also watch it like a hawk for the first two weeks, make sure its well fed, count my snails, and do a couple of spot checks at night.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to the saltwater game, only been doing it a year, so there's a good chance that any advice I give is garbage.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I agree with the above post. I have seen many purple lobster eat fish and other inverts. I wouldn't risk one in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It will eat your inverts and fish, unless extremely well fed.

I'm also going to assume this is a baby purple, because if I'm not mistaken, they grow to about a foot and a half long. That 28 gallon just might be a touch too small.

From what I understand lobsters have a general reputation of killing inverts, attempting to take down fish at night, and can pose a threat to corals. But, there is the argument that not all lobsters are equal. If it was me, I wouldn't risk it.

If not running a quarantine, A FW dip is very traumatic to the animal. It also only kills a certain stage of ich (the white dot stage) by causing osmotic shock but this shock also hits the animal itself. The FW dip should be exactly the same temp and pH as your main tank, drop animal in, ich dots rupture and die, fish back in tank. Dip time 10-12 minutes maximum (or until the animal becomes unresponsive to you poking it, if that happens get it back into the saltwater immediately).

Saying all that, if I were to get a purple lobster, I'd treat it like any other invert. Quick acclimation to salt and temp then drop right in. I'd also watch it like a hawk for the first two weeks, make sure its well fed, count my snails, and do a couple of spot checks at night.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to the saltwater game, only been doing it a year, so there's a good chance that any advice I give is garbage.

I agree with the above post. I have seen many purple lobster eat fish and other inverts. I wouldn't risk one in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will eat your inverts and fish, unless extremely well fed.

I'm also going to assume this is a baby purple, because if I'm not mistaken, they grow to about a foot and a half long. That 28 gallon just might be a touch too small.

Agree!!!

It will eat your inverts and fish, unless extremely well

Correct it was a baby. About 1" long. I decided to take the advice of your all and not get it!! Thank you so much for te responses.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Glad you did not get it. For future reference, if you are adding any inverts do not do a fresh water dip on them. Inverts like shrimp and lobsters are very sensitive to salinity changes and that could kill them. The chances of bringing ick in on an invert is very small (though I have heard of it apparently happening) and if you really are worried setup a QT tank and observe.