• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rainbow bubble tip not fully inflating

So I got a small rainbow bubble tip over a week ago and since he has been in thank he has spent most of his time deflated he opens up every now and then but has not been the size he was In the tank before I brought him home.. my water chemistry checks out and everything else in the tank is fine is this normal

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Even though your numbers might check out it may be different than the tank you got him from and he is just adjusting. Also what light are you using compare to where he came from?

horseplay

NJRC Member
When I had a young tank years ago I always wondered why some corals didn't do well while the parameters were spot on. Now I seldom see this problem. Some animals are more sensitive to water chemistry or the biological balance than others. If your tank is only a few months old it's safe to say it has not achieved a stable and balanced environment yet.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm leaning on the tank not being ready for 1 yet. Personally I have a soft spot for anenomes so I have always kept them. For the most part, they are sensitive to newer tanks and can take a turn for the worse really quick if things are "off". Personally I waited 6 months before I picked my current red bta without any issues....but that's me (I think the 1yr mark is a bit extreme IMO)

Could you post up a pic so we can see. He could still be acclimating

Have to agree with Joe (@horseplay ).....anemones are for established tanks....at least a year old. At this point just keep an eye on it and feed it occasionally. If large enough, silversides, if not, mysis will do/
I mean id give it the possibility just not sure why it would work for some and not others an example the other anemone is thriving extremely well granted its a different species which could very well mean the comparison doesn't apply. The anemone does inflate for part of the day but deflates for most of the day when it does inflate if during feeding time I do notice it catch the Mysis that flows near and pull them into its mouth so I assume its eating them, this is the first bubble tip that I have owned I know with the my condy that they deflate at times especially during the evening hours but reflate during the day. ill do a little research into bubble tips and let you guys know what I find out, I tested my water again today and all the levels are were they should be. I am concidering the possibility of flow being the issue as were it has decided to anchor it self has a pretty direct current.

I mean this in a curiosity type of way not as a challenge type but I pose one question What is the Scientific difference between a tank 6 months old and 1 year old consider the following the rocks and sand come from a previously established tank over a year old, water is newer (less aged) how ever we water change regularly so in theory we constantly replace the total gallonage of water the tank holds many times in its life time weather its one year or twenty. The Nitrogen cycle is established and the bacteria that regulate it are established. We as the keepers of the eco system constantly monitor and treat the water chemistry and as long as the right equipment and balance with in the environment are correct the water just in mind mine with out further research should be chemically the same as a tank older whether artificially threw treatment or nature.
Just food for thought... I herd the rule of 1 year for anemone when I first started to research going to salt water... but I also read that early experts in the hobby thought that NANO tanks wouldn't be possible for coral which as we all know looking at Maritza the Vase reef isn't true. But anyways I really honestly am just looking for others opinions on this not a argument (I don't think that'll happen here cause your all great but ive seen other forums where people get very Butt hurt when some one posses a question like this)

horseplay

NJRC Member
Jeremy if we know the answer to your question we'd all have the most beautiful tanks. However many tank are not even well established after one year and those do have some success have problems quite frequently, sometimes even tank crashes!

As you mentioned our tanks are ecosystems. These systems are all different because we use different rocks, different lighting and different salts and chemicals. Besides the 10 or so measurable parameters there are 10 times more that cannot be measured. The bacteria, micro-organisms, fish, corals, pods, algae all need to adapt, compete with each other and perform their functions. This takes time and during this time you will see bacteria bloom (cyano for example), algae outbreaks, corals lost etc until each organism has established itself and also kept in check by other organisms.

I know this don't help but my point is it's not easy. Sometimes we can only learn from our failures.

BTW if the nutrient level is very low in your tank you might want to raise it a bit. My RBTA does not like super low nutrient levels.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I had two nems in my tank and with my 36g I am thinking of going mainly nems in there. Like @trio91 I have a soft spot for nems. I also agree the 1 year mark seems extreme but do understand it. I would at least wait 6 months before adding a nem to any tank. Now both of my nems were bubble tips (one green color and the other was a rainbow). My first nem (the green one) took awhile to take hold (after I moved the rock he was on). He also went through periods where he wouldn't inflate and I thought he might be a goner. After he took hold in his final spot he grow like crazy. My rainbow nem didn't move much and at time did seem to stay deflated but I didn't have him long before I had to break the tank down so not sure if he bounce back. He might had been 4 months in my tank and like I said same days seem like he was a goner but near the end he looked better.

Sorry could be a better help

Jeremy if we know the answer to your question we'd all have the most beautiful tanks. However many tank are not even well established after one year and those do have some success have problems quite frequently, sometimes even tank crashes!

As you mentioned our tanks are ecosystems. These systems are all different because we use different rocks, different lighting and different salts and chemicals. Besides the 10 or so measurable parameters there are 10 times more that cannot be measured. The bacteria, micro-organisms, fish, corals, pods, algae all need to adapt, compete with each other and perform their functions. This takes time and during this time you will see bacteria bloom (cyano for example), algae outbreaks, corals lost etc until each organism has established itself and also kept in check by other organisms.

I know this don't help but my point is it's not easy. Sometimes we can only learn from our failures.

BTW if the nutrient level is very low in your tank you might want to raise it a bit. My RBTA does not like super low nutrient levels.
This was exactly the kinda answer I was looking for, I knew when I posed the question that there would be no exact answer or even a right or wrong answer I simply ask because if we don't ask why something is done a certain way we never learn. I studied marine bio and science my favorite things to question are "rules of thumb" or answers like "we do it this way cause that's what they say" or "that's the way its always done" I question these things because as we further advance we discover that some things just aren't true anymore or we now have capabilities that make them no longer necessary, for instance in this example had the answer been the difference is it takes that long for X to become a certain established level in the tank because X takes Y amount of time to accumulate and you cant artificially make or increase X in your water .. then hey that's the reason but in this instance the answer isn't so clear and maybe if questioned and researched further someone could find the answer or even the solution to make this no longer necessary. Any ways as said we learn from are failures this hobby is a science and we the hobbiest have become the ones advancing the field of study.
I do appreciate the help and support every response is a possible solution or learning experience and that is why I brought it to you guys