• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Redoing some plumbing check valve versus ball valve

I have a check valve just upline from my return pump, but it's shot and no longer functioning (think they have springs in them so maybe it's worn out). Do most of you use check valves or just regular ball valves? Again, this is between the return pump to the main display tank so that in case of a power outage, it doesn't siphon water out of the DT to the sump. Thanks

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would stay away from all valves. Plumb it right u don’t ever need siphon breaks. They will fail when u need them most !!!!

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say raise above the waterline, what do you mean? You don't mean have my 4 returns above the waterline do you?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It doesn’t need to be above the water line just slightly below it.

The key with that is when the return is off the watercabove your return will siphon back to sump. So knowing that. Raise it to the point where it won’t overflow the sump

It doesn’t need to be above the water line just slightly below it.

The key with that is when the return is off the watercabove your return will siphon back to sump. So knowing that. Raise it to the point where it won’t overflow the sump
Oh sheesh, not sure why I never realized that. Thanks that makes sense.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Junk2 - Looking back at the posts, I think there is some confusion on your request. You are talking about the plumbing coming from your return pump to the aquarium correct?

@Junk2 - Looking back at the posts, I think there is some confusion on your request. You are talking about the plumbing coming from your return pump to the aquarium correct?
That's right. My thought was to put it between my return pump and the main aquarium. One of the reasons is I have a T between my existing check valve and main tank because that's where my mixed water from the basement pumps into. This way the new water is going into the tank instead of the sump. I had the check valve there though mainly in case of a power outage that the water wouldn't flow from my tank returns into my sump.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
The one @trio91 linked works great. No springs, it's activated by flow. It's a bit expensive for what it is, but worth every penny in my mind. Just being able to disassemble and clean is worth it's weight in coral :) (I haven't had to do this yet, it's been about 6 months)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use these valves. If you ever have to work on the pump, just turn off the valve and unscrew the fitting. I don't trust anything else with moving parts. They always go bad at some point.

Cepex Ball Valve

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I use these valves. If you ever have to work on the pump, just turn off the valve and unscrew the fitting. I don't trust anything else with moving parts. They always go bad at some point.

Cepex Ball Valve

Understood, but what would happen in the case of a power outage when you're not there? It depends on the set up. Without the check valve, my display would drain a few more inches from my return lines, and overflow my sump. I have to have it there, or I have to get a bigger sump. Which isn't a terrible idea :)

*another post of mine edited for terrible grammar...

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Understood, but what would happen in the case of a power outage when you're not there? It depends on the set up. Without the check valve, my display would drain a few more inches from my return lines, and overflow my sump. I have to have it there, or I have to get a bigger sump. Which isn't a terrible idea :)

*another post of mine edited for terrible grammar...

Like Edwin said. Your return line should (1) either be just below the water level in your tank or (2) drill a pinhole in the return line@ the water level but slightly pointing into the water.. The whole idea is to create a siphon break which will stop the water from draining back into the sump.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Between these siphon breaks and keeping your suction line about the level in this pic, you will have little to no water flowing back to your sump.
The less mechanical parts in a salt water tank, the less problems down the road. If a snail or something makes a check valve fail (at the worst time usually), can crash tank.

17503d99a39ae79c5eab5a407a464245.jpg