• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reptiles to fish tanks

can you convert a reptile tank into a fish tank without having problems. Is there a safe way to clean the tank

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Most reptile tanks are not built to hold water and will fail if you fill them with water. Tanks, depending on the size, can be pretty cheap if you know where to look. What size are you looking for?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I myself wouldn't because I can see the seams on my reptile tanks, and they arent like fish tanks. I have a 40breeder with stand if you are looking for a simple setup. comes with a new whisper filter. let me know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

falconut

NJRC Member
I had a 90 gallon that I used for a bearded dragon for a few years, then switched it over to a reef. That tank ran fine for 14 years, before I upgraded. So, if it's a true aquarium with no damage to the seams, it can be done.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
If the tank was built for reptiles its not good as the glass is very thin. If it was an actual fish tank used for reptiles check the silicone is missing sections and clean with bleach or vinegar, rinse and dry.