• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ricky's 120 Stony Coral Garden

I am currently experiencing polyp retraction on a few of my acropora and the tissue looks as though it is thinner than usual. Some of the colors look less vibrant and two acro's RTNed on me. I am using Instant Ocean sea salt and I dose ESV B-Ionic two part as well as ESV Transition Elements. I perform 15% weekly water changes, I do not run carbon or GFO but I did add BRS ROX 0.8 carbon two weeks ago hoping it would help resolve the issue of the stressed corals. I tested my RO/DI water which comes out 0 TDS and 0 for free and total chlorine which also means 0 chloramines. My last ICP test showed elevated Bromine, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium and low Barium, Fluorine, Molybdenum and Manganese. Nitrates read 9 ppm and Phosphates read 0.05 ppm. My Salifert Nitrate test kit was reading between 10 and 25ppm and the Hanna ULR Checker was reading 0.12 ppm during this time. I am continuing the perform water changes but this week I am going to perform two extra water changes. I am also dosing the depleted elements with ATI supplements. I dosed sodium nitrate and Seachem Phosphorus last night to bring my nutrient levels back up as I run alkalinity between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH and when I have better results with higher nutrient levels when running my tank at this level of alkalinity. I removed the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon as well. I did check my powerheads, return pump and heaters for corrosion and found nothing. To my surprise some of the stressed corals are still growing but they do not have the usual vibrant colors or polyp extension. I am trying to get my tank back to how it was a few months ago and mimic those water parameters. Stay tuned for updates as I hope I can turn my tank around . . .

ASD Strawberry Lemonade

January 25, 2020
ASDStrawberryLemonade.jpeg

March 14, 2020
ASD%2BStrawberry%2BLemonade.JPG

Brightwell makes purit its suppose to remove more impurities then regular active carbon might be worth a try.

Thank you, I am going to bring my levels back to where they were a few months ago. I started dosing nitrate and phosphate so that should help alleviate some of the stress.

Waoooooo just amazing...
are those scans at the Bottom? because you have all types of sps and they like low light and those looks amazing...With Hight light

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have an Uncle Ozzy.
He was a bowler.
In the 1970's he was on a show called 'Bowling for Dollars', did very well, and was champion for a bit.
In the mid-70's height of bowling excitement, he was rating as a pro player.
He was humble but proud, up and coming, and had a potentially lucrative career just up ahead. In the 70's a pro bowler could make a million.
On a casual night out with a local bowling league in NJ (Kearny area) it was up to him, last throw, to hit 8 pins.
No prob for a semi-pro on his way to the big leagues.
He threw a gutter in the first, which he hadn't done since amateur days, then threw a 7 pin on the second shot.
They lost.
He took off his shoes and carried them, and his custom ball, and his case, and his jacket outside to the nearby bridge.
He threw all his stuff into the Hudson river and has never picked up a bowling ball since.

I relate to that when I see Ricky's tank. ;)