• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt Poll

What Salt do you use?

• ESV

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Seachem Reef

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic Salt

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • H2Ocean

• Brightwell Aquatics

• Red Sea Coral Pro

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • AquaVitro

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Kent

• Table salt

• Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like I Instant Ocean because it has the least by-products in it blend and the price is very good. but this time around I had to get Instant Ocean Reef Crystals because Hidden Reef was out of Instant Ocean.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I use Coralife Marine Salt, cheap and effective. Cal is always around 450-500, Mag 1350-1400, and Alk 8ish.

I use Reef crystals I switched to aquavitro for a little and my tank took a turn for the worst.. So I went back to what worked for me..

I've tried many brands over the years, and all seem to work well. But, none worked any better than Reef Crystals, so I didn't see any reason to pay the extra premium. And, it's hard to beat 200 Gal boxes @ $49.00 delivered to your front door.

I switched from Salinity to ESV a few months ago and am very happy with it. The parameters are very consistent and I actually find it easier to mix.

Reef crystals, it's what I started with and have not had any issues. I may swithch to instant ocean since I dose accordingly. Not sure.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Reef Crystals since the beginning (five plus years). But I’m now in the process of switching over to Instant Ocean. I want control over my alk and cal, and I wasn’t getting it from RC....too much variability.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just looked at the “poll” selections…..and “Table Salt” in on there. Is this actually something people use??? If they do, I’m hoping they at least use the non-iodized table salts.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just looked at the “poll” selections…..and “Table Salt” in on there. Is this actually something people use??? If they do, I’m hoping they at least use the non-iodized table salts.
Paul,
I put that there for two reasons. First to be funny and second one would have said how about table salt.

Right now I've been using IO eversince I've gotten into hard corals but I'm thinking of switching to something with higher levels of cal, alk, and mag.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
A/V Salinity - because I like the container and the lid....
...well that and I did what research I could when I first started and it seemed to be consistently well reviewed and per gallon it was not much more expensive than the run of the mill stuff (and it seemed cheaper if you factor in the trace elements that should not need to be dosed - not sure if looking back that's an accurate or fair assessment). Not that I'm using it I don't have much to compare it against. I can say my mixing bucket has a residue in it no matter how slowly I try to add the mix (and I use a PH and a heater) and my numbers tend to be low given the load I have, that is surprising. I don't think I'll change because I'm lazy and stubborn - and because I could never find enough opinions that one salt is the "best" option and since I don’t yet have what I consider to be a “successful and stable” system after 2.5 years I’m afraid to change anything that drastic

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oceanic for me. It's been working for over 8 years with great results, so I just stick with it.
:very_drunk: WOW, I thought I was the only one!!! Same results here. I had thought that my corals lacked coloration once due to salt and considered changing, and was steered in a different direction. Better lighting, more frequent fish feeding, same salt and everything colored up great.

This is one of those ongoing talks that I love to listen into. I honestly do not understand why people switch salts so frequently. if your corals are healthy and growing, why switch??? everybody settles in nice and cozy and then WHAMO a new "end all miracle salt comes out"! I also laugh at the fact that people use the salt for a month and say htey LOVE the new salt! How about actually giving it time!

Salt mixes cleaner??? I don't care if my salt mixes cloudy, give it an hour and it is clear. Most wait overnight anyway before use!

Again, I laugh at this topic, I can go on and on, but I'll spare you. This is yet another thing in the hobby that works for one, may not work for another

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Speaking of salt, has anyone seen a recent salt test done by an independent testing co? A few years ago AWT took like a dozen salts and did a whole rundown on them side by side. I'd love to see that again with all the new salts added