• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SALTWATER HELP!

Ryan88 said:
Nano Skimmer it is.
And i got carib sand.

So i can just start dumping the water into the tank? then the sand?

Put the sand in first. Then put a plate or a large cup in the tank on top of the sand. Pour the water slowly into/onto the cup/plate. That way, you don't have a massive sand storm in your tank.

Should i run the filter now without the rock in there and fill the tank where the water level is supposed to be or just wait and leave the 3 or 4 inches that the rocks will displace

Well can you give me the name brand on the skimmer?

Most skimmers will really only pull gunk out of the water if it is there to pull...ie no fish no fish poop no gunk. When you put in live rock you might have some die off so then yes. Putting in some power heads for flow would be good how about a pic too?

Also I think the name of the skimmer is a Rio, i mean maybe by everyone elses standards it sucks, but i just wanted to try something to get the process moving, i can always upgrade

Don't be alarmed if the water is cloudy. The fine particules in the sand get mixed up with the water. It will clear in a couple of days

No it is not like the Fission Nano, thankfully you didn't get that one.
In any case your next step should be to look for some live rock like I said look around here. If you understand some live rock may not be totally cured(cured is getting rid of the dead matter on live rock a process accomplished by the bacteria). I am sure someone has the link handy for the cycles that your tank should go through.

Yeah anyway,

I left like 3 or 4 inches in the tank for the live rock to displace water. Now I think tonight ill just run the corolla powerhead, i think 1 should be enough for now, i did pick up a second one today though. But yeah my sand and a few buckets of water are in. My filter skimmer combo is setup all i have to do is plug it in but the water level isnt high enough. Thats why I thought I'd play it safe and just let the powerhead do some work tonight.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC Ryan.
I have plenty of live rock to get you setup. Free. I can also give you a few cups of Live sand filled with copods to set you on the right path for success.
Stop over, I'll show you and explain to you how all the equipment works and what it does. Your only 5 minutes away. Send me a personal message and I'll give you my address.
Once you have the live rock in, you have to feed the tank to keep the cycle going. You can put a piece of shrimp or something similar in.

How do you guys get images on here, when i hit insert picture i just get

I want to transfer the images from a folder i have on this computer

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks John.
We've all started from scratch Ryan. I started 30 years ago. The only good help and info. around then was Trop.
You're lucky to have this site around to help you and every other newbie.

A lot of us use a free web host called Photobucket to post our pics. here. It's very easy that way.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would wait till I had the rock in before adding the rest of your flow.

Alright Im really slammed this week, but next week ill try and stop by. Im the kid you met in pet plus last week i think it was

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I remember. Thanks for checking out our site.

Just LMK the day ahead of time so I can make sure I'm here. Best time for me would be after 5:30

Sounds good sounds good, I let you know sunday whats going on. Thanks again. I really want to do a nice job on this.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can tell you want to do it right the first time. It's a slow start, but years of enjoyment when done the right way.