• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Went to ACC to get some dry sand but they no longer sell it; only have live sand.
I want large grain of dry for the seahorse tank. Any suggestions where to get some.

It's what I did. I have $5 rewards from. Petco now.
Glad ur thinking of the ponies safety n well being,, that’s why I had no problem hooking you up I knew they would be well cared for. Also don’t forget I have a female for you( maybe the boys can play choo choo train). Just let me know when you wanna pick her up

Glad ur thinking of the ponies safety n well being,, that’s why I had no problem hooking you up I knew they would be well cared for. Also don’t forget I have a female for you( maybe the boys can play choo choo train). Just let me know when you wanna pick her up

On another note I got my very first fish today. A Cardinal fish,, I’ve never had a fish before it’s my first one ever. I chose it first of all because it’s safe with my seahorses and eats same food doesn’t move around fast or a lot plus it’s real cool looking

On another note I got my very first fish today. A Cardinal fish,, I’ve never had a fish before it’s my first one ever. I chose it first of all because it’s safe with my seahorses and eats same food doesn’t move around fast or a lot plus it’s real cool looking
Wait.... first fish. Ever!!!! Congratulations brother. Send pic. This is big day. Which did you choose. Their are several types and look completely different.

Mark, when I did freshwater planted tanks, I started using pool filter sand. I read in many places how safe it was, algae-resistant, and held up better over time. Not sure about in salt water or with sea horses, but worth a look maybe?

Mark, when I did freshwater planted tanks, I started using pool filter sand. I read in many places how safe it was, algae-resistant, and held up better over time. Not sure about in salt water or with sea horses, but worth a look maybe?
It’s been a while. Since I read the article. I mean years. So please. Research this comment or somebody chime in. But I believe for a reef tank you can buy play sand very cheep at big stores like Home Depot. But it comes in many varieties. You want the sand that is composed of Aragonite. It naturally buffers calcium and i believe it is what most reef sand is anyway

Definitely research! I never considered it for a reed tank so never looked into it. I knew I was going live sand. Curious what you find out as you make your decision Mark. Good luck!

IMO
There is Tropic Eden sand and there is everything else. Never met a person who has used it that wouldn't agree.
But it can be hard to come by sometimes as it's only available from Premium Aquatics and it's often on backorder

IMO
There is Tropic Eden sand and there is everything else. Never met a person who has used it that wouldn't agree.
But it can be hard to come by sometimes as it's only available from Premium Aquatics and it's often on backorder
What makes it better than other sands. Please elaborate

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
IMO

I find it's very clean. Requiring very little rinsing

What makes it better than other sands. Please elaborate
Cleanest sand out there by far.
Various grain sizes for pretty much every preference, and no foreign matter as I have found in pretty much anything else I've used.
Now they do have a live sand as well, but I'm not a big supporter of live sand of any brand unless its straight out of a hobbyist/store tank and into mine.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hello
I had a African cichlids tank before I turned that tank to a reef tank. That tank I used pool filter sand. Pool filter sand has a lot of silica and other thing that you don’t want in salt water tank. It also clumps up in fresh water.
It’s not worth saving that money.
Just get sand for reef tanks.

It’s not worth the risk when something goes wrong with your tank you can rule out sand because you used sand made for reefs

I use the Carib sea and I really like how the sand grains are very thick. Even with a lot of flow the sand doesn’t move.
Wrasses/Snails/ star fish all love the sand