• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I researched play sand in the past. You need to ensure the play sand is silicate free if you;re going to use it.
It may be okay for a seahorse tank as not much flow. A reef I personally would not use it as it may blow all over.

I researched play sand in the past. You need to ensure the play sand is silicate free if you;re going to use it.
It may be okay for a seahorse tank as not much flow. A reef I personally would not use it as it may blow all over.
Would u please just dump what I gave u in there, it has 5lbs of fresh crushed coral mixed in and it’s what they are used to for almost 2yrs. You are totally over thinking the whole sand thing. What I gave u works and y mess with something that works. Anything is better than bare bottom. And I say this with respect to ur experience

You don’t understand... Mark is not called Mad Reefer accidentally. Nice as pie, great person. A real DrJekyll but when it comes to his tanks he becomes Mr. Hyde. Lol. Seriously if Mark didn’t overthink something id either send an ambulance or Muller and Scully be he has been abducted and that’s a double

It’s been a while. Since I read the article. I mean years. So please. Research this comment or somebody chime in. But I believe for a reef tank you can buy play sand very cheep at big stores like Home Depot. But it comes in many varieties. You want the sand that is composed of Aragonite. It naturally buffers calcium and i believe it is what most reef sand is anyway
Nooooo never do this. You will spike silicates off the chart and your tank will be plagued with red slime algae forever.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It’s been a while. Since I read the article. I mean years. So please. Research this comment or somebody chime in. But I believe for a reef tank you can buy play sand very cheep at big stores like Home Depot. But it comes in many varieties. You want the sand that is composed of Aragonite. It naturally buffers calcium and i believe it is what most reef sand is anyway
If I remember correctly, I think theres an issue with excess silicate in the play sand. I could be wrong though

Oh there can be that’s why I was carful to say it must be aragonite

Mad reffed this is what it looks like when I feed ponies. If u blow up pic you will see the seahorses on bottom snicking food from pebbels

Attachments

• A433E9CD-FBE8-4537-858C-BFC39DDC62AF.jpeg
    A433E9CD-FBE8-4537-858C-BFC39DDC62AF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I see them picking along the bottom.
I plan to make a cheato cage. Will post pics soon.
Just cannot decide if I should open the hole more as I don't want the seahorses getting hurt or stuck.