• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

shortages explain this to me..

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
explain to me how basically 80% of the serious reefers grow chaeto and all these major supplies sell chaeto yet there is a shortage... explain to me how is there a shortage of literally seaweed... algaebarn one of the biggest supplies has been sold out for months now.. dont these companies have farms growing this stuff...
all fish prices literally tripled WTH is going on they just forcing people to quit this hobby at this point

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
It's absolutely out of hand - need some serious changes from the top.
bro dont even tell me ive been looking all over jersey for clean chaeto and its like finding gold at this point..
went to pickup some rabbit food from petco im like meh ill check out the fish $50 for anthias a fish that was $12 bucks before get out of here... $175 for a yellow tang which i bought for $25 3 years ago its a joke at this point...
600 for led lights which take $50 to make max... you put reef or saltwater in the tittle you triple your values

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Let's not get political here.

But agree prices are crazy every where and for everything. Cars used /new are up over 10%, bacon is up 12%, you can't even buy chicken because there is a shortage and wings are outrageous. Just ride the wave and wait; hopefully prices will eventually drop. I don't buy anything now unless I really need it or for the hobby something unique/different.

Planning a large addition to my garage , Lumber is ridiculous . As is everything else related. my project just easily doubled if not worse .

Salted

NJRC Member
Planning a large addition to my garage , Lumber is ridiculous . As is everything else related. my project just easily doubled if not worse .
I’d wait on that addition if you can. 2x4s were about $2 a couple years ago, now they’re almost $10.

erics210

NJRC Member
Let's not get political here.

But agree prices are crazy every where and for everything. Cars used /new are up over 10%, bacon is up 12%, you can't even buy chicken because there is a shortage and wings are outrageous. Just ride the wave and wait; hopefully prices will eventually drop. I don't buy anything now unless I really need it or for the hobby something unique/different.
Was borderline political. I liked the way he tap danced around it.

Salted

NJRC Member
explain to me how basically 80% of the serious reefers grow chaeto and all these major supplies sell chaeto yet there is a shortage... explain to me how is there a shortage of literally seaweed... algaebarn one of the biggest supplies has been sold out for months now.. dont these companies have farms growing this stuff...
all fish prices literally tripled WTH is going on they just forcing people to quit this hobby at this point
I just packed up a bag for Dyiguy. I should be able to do another bag in a few weeks. If you’re interested just ask. Free. 07834.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
So from a vendor perspective on this.... Not sure what the deal is with cheato as we usually have tons and it ends up getting thrown out every week lol. As for the price of fish there are a couple things that are really F'ing things up. Once covid hit and the world kinda went boom no one wanted to travel. Especially fly. For the most part fish and coral from all over the world coming into the USA was shipped airline cargo. Which is basically sitting in a passenger plane next to your luggage. With not as many international passengers flying there is no need for this international flights. No flights means we need to literally fight for space on these planes to bring things in. Which brings the price of freight up substantially. It's at the point we are chartering planes just to get the livestock into the USA. That's even more expensive but no products = no sales = no business. So the prices have to go up.

As for yellow tangs, once they banned collection and sale of wild yellow tangs out of Hawaii the price sky rocketed. We have ones in our tanks here that a couple years ago would have been a $60 fish. I've been offered up to 600 each for them. We turned it down because we don't sell our donated/rescued fish

Sorry for the long winded post but I just saw this as I'm cutting a check for freight from Vietnam that has gone up 400%!!!!!!!!

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
So from a vendor perspective on this.... Not sure what the deal is with cheato as we usually have tons and it ends up getting thrown out every week lol. As for the price of fish there are a couple things that are really F'ing things up. Once covid hit and the world kinda went boom no one wanted to travel. Especially fly. For the most part fish and coral from all over the world coming into the USA was shipped airline cargo. Which is basically sitting in a passenger plane next to your luggage. With not as many international passengers flying there is no need for this international flights. No flights means we need to literally fight for space on these planes to bring things in. Which brings the price of freight up substantially. It's at the point we are chartering planes just to get the livestock into the USA. That's even more expensive but no products = no sales = no business. So the prices have to go up.

As for yellow tangs, once they banned collection and sale of wild yellow tangs out of Hawaii the price sky rocketed. We have ones in our tanks here that a couple years ago would have been a $60 fish. I've been offered up to 600 each for them. We turned it down because we don't sell our donated/rescued fish

Sorry for the long winded post but I just saw this as I'm cutting a check for freight from Vietnam that has gone up 400%!!!!!!!!
i apprecaite the explanation its just crazy how everything can screw in literally 1-2 years 400% is just dumb people are getting pushed out of the hobbies ive been checking up some local stores in north jersey and its just crazy..

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
In Florida it seems to be the same here, went down to a local shop and noticed clown fish going for about $50ea. Maybe it was a designer clown, but it looked like a plain ocelaris to me.

i apprecaite the explanation its just crazy how everything can screw in literally 1-2 years 400% is just dumb people are getting pushed out of the hobbies ive been checking up some local stores in north jersey and its just crazy..
Maybe this is the naturally hobby culling that is needed for prices to stabilize. In the stock market world, this is called a market correction. When you have too many buyers..the stock market (prices) go up. When people start heading for the doors and you don't have enough buyers,..the stock market (prices) go down. Maybe we as a hobby need this. Many of the hobby things we are buying are in a pricing bubble...maybe a correction is needed. If things get expensive enough and people stop buying it..prices will come down as the supply starts going up. Econ 101 baby!! One of the classes I remember a few things from...anyone want me to bust out a quick supply and demand graph?! :)

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Maybe this is the naturally hobby culling that is needed for prices to stabilize. In the stock market world, this is called a market correction. When you have too many buyers..the stock market (prices) go up. When people start heading for the doors and you don't have enough buyers,..the stock market (prices) go down. Maybe we as a hobby need this. Many of the hobby things we are buying are in a pricing bubble...maybe a correction is needed. If things get expensive enough and people stop buying it..prices will come down as the supply starts going up. Econ 101 baby!! One of the classes I remember a few things from...anyone want me to bust out a quick supply and demand graph?! :)
@NJTaxMan I need that graph!!! But I need the advance version with the curve shift That shows the equilibrium points !!!!!
Lol.
But seriously well put on this. I think that correction is solely needed. But if that hedge fund bails on our pivotal supplies. (Ecotech, BRS). We might be hurting in terms of new products for a while

@NJTaxMan I need that graph!!! But I need the advance version with the curve shift That shows the equilibrium points !!!!!
Lol.
But seriously well put on this. I think that correction is solely needed. But if that hedge fund bails on our pivotal supplies. (Ecotech, BRS). We might be hurting in terms of new products for a while
You want me to get fancy and put in some price control ceilings? :D