• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Show your tank Saturday

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
On this boring rainy Saturday, figure i try to spark some discussion. Show off your tank or anything cool!

Ill start:
I wanted this tank to be an SPS dominated tank but I'm failing! So, I've decided to go a different route and go more LPS/Softie tank. I do miss having torches and micromussa in the tank. I was in the process of removing sand but i am stopping that too. I changed lighting to a Neptune Sky from T5s. I'm really just tired of looking at the tank and not being happy. I am not sure the reason for the sps not doing well. I suspect a potential pathogen. I really should do a aquabiomics test and see. Its all good though ill definitely revisit SPS again. I clean tanks all day and the last thing i want to do is come home and just stress over this. I want it to be little easier for me to manage.

It took some time to adjust to the LED Sky from having T5s over the tank for nearly 3 years. As of recently i am really liking it. The spread is pretty insane over 3 feet. Thats probably the max you can get out of this unit. It really makes the colors of the fish POP

Got some hair algae popping up too which is weird as my PO4 never gets above .08 and Nitrate never rises above 15ppm. Lots of snails and a couple tangs in there. The only thing i can suspect is that i had very high alk from kalkwasser dosing. Which it started to come down, in that time the alk was low the algae had an easier time to "blossom"

Ill be stocking this up very soon with Lps soon.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My 75g (65g in display, two 5 gallon in tank sumps ) running for 16 months now- still a work in progress. As you can see, I'm not into negative space :). I think I may have room for a couple more rocks lol- I 'm still working on finding happy places for my corals- could use s few more- and a few less. I think I'm at my limit for fish though

Attachments

• 75gnew.jpg
    75gnew.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
My 75g (65g in display, two 5 gallon in tank sumps ) running for 16 months now- still a work in progress. As you can see, I'm not into negative space :). I think I may have room for a couple more rocks lol- I 'm still working on finding happy places for my corals- could use s few more- and a few less. I think I'm at my limit for fish though
+1 on the NSA trend. I think it's dumb for lack of nicer terms. I don't even like the aesthetic of NSA.
Your tank is booming with life! Love it.

Rueric

NJRC Member
This tanks been up since October.. so about 7 months
I did the upgrade from a 32g tank using all my previous rock, no water, no sand.
I’d say the tank struggles with keeping sps but it’s been doing decent for my lps

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Started mine on 2/6, so I’m 3+ months deep. All rock was really established when I got it, though, so I think that really helped as I never hit an ugly stage. Was having fun tonight playing with the lens kit I got for my phone.

Also the bta i picked up at about nickle size got to about quarter size and split. And split thru a rock. Didn’t see that coming.

IMG_4067.jpeg
IMG_4071.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I like my tank of soft corals and cheap fish- I reef on a very tight budget and even though I wish I could get a do over in some aspects I like what I have- different leathers and a bunch of different mushrooms and toadstools, clove polyps, zoas and palys- I even like my Kenta trees which haven't dropped a branch in over a year -all easy and very forgiving- many of my best corals I got from fellow reefers either in trade or for free. i don't have the time ,or money to upgrade for sps or lps ( I do have 1 hammer though lol)

I like my tank of soft corals and cheap fish- I reef on a very tight budget and even though I wish I could get a do over in some aspects I like what I have- different leathers and a bunch of different mushrooms and toadstools, clove polyps, zoas and palys- I even like my Kenta trees which haven't dropped a branch in over a year -all easy and very forgiving- many of my best corals I got from fellow reefers either in trade or for free. i don't have the time ,or money to upgrade for sps or lps ( I do have 1 hammer though lol)
Let me know if you around here soon I’ll get you a sps Frag and monti Frag so you can know if ready for other stuff

Som pictures. 75 gallon display, 20 long frag tank, shared sump.

Attachments

• A98549CD-4FDB-4445-8E22-965FBBEE62CC.jpeg
    A98549CD-4FDB-4445-8E22-965FBBEE62CC.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • CA371871-3349-4057-8CC6-4860D73F7167.jpeg
    CA371871-3349-4057-8CC6-4860D73F7167.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 529AEDC8-5F87-4F4D-968F-73CBCE62C538.jpeg
    529AEDC8-5F87-4F4D-968F-73CBCE62C538.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 44206D8C-4273-498A-8829-E74546F3C85D.jpeg
    44206D8C-4273-498A-8829-E74546F3C85D.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 26
This is my rimless tank. Ignore the UV filter pump at the end. Been too lazy to plumb it into the sump.

Attachments

• 20230521_122925.jpg
    20230521_122925.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
What's the lighting on this ?

I think one reason I only have success with softies is the lighting- I have a single kessel 90w tuna blue in the center of the tank with 2 Relassy 165 led reef lights
I think that has the potential to be a lot of light. How are the 165s holding up ? I've been keeping an eye on those for a while