• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer problem

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My berlin skimmer stoppped skimming but water is pumping through. I acquired another skimmer but not sure where the pump goes. I put it in a 10g tank with fresh water to test it. I have 2 pics one unplugged and one plugged in to see the water flow. Is this the correct setup? the company website has been down for some time and I can't get info.
566_18_04_09_10_51_52.jpg

566_18_04_09_10_52_15.jpg

Thanks,
Mark

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am just about to pull the Berlin out and clean out the venturi. I also noticed with the new there is an opening for air but no hose attached. If I cover it with my finger no bubble form. I wonder how that would work if its covered by water. maybe I should add a airline to it if I use it.

add an air line and run it above the water preferrably somewhere outside of the sump this way it doesn't accidently fall into the water and then you have a skimmer overflow...
Then adjust the water and air volume so that it is skimming and making a froth...
Good Luck!

You definitely need an air line don't go too small. Use 3/8 or 1/2" ID which ever fits best. Otherwise looks to be set up right.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is the skimmer that worked before? With that same pump?
It looks like a mag pump to me, which aren't needle wheel pumps. WAIT. Did you have this apart?
Looks like to me that the venturi is on the wrong side of the pump. It should be on the suction side so it can suck air and water together.

I agree with Mikem..
The air inlet should be before the pump so that the pump can micronize the air..
The mag pump should work....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ok, cleaned out the Berlin but still doesn't work as well as it use to. Anyway, I added the other skim to the sump, tight fit, and I ran in to 2 other problems.
1) The skimmer section of the sump drains quicker than the return. Tried using a smaller pump but skimmer didn't work as well. What should I do?
2) Switching the damn skimmers around I cracked the collection cup to skimmer in the pics I provided earlier. How can I repair it? Crazy glue, silicon, etc.
I put the Berlin back in for now. But I really am getting to hate this hobby more and more each day; I could be next getting out. Pics of collection cup below.
566_18_04_09_12_49_10.jpg

566_18_04_09_12_49_36.jpg

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you take apart the impeller to see if theres anything clogging it?
You can use crazy glue gel to repair that crack.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mike,
Roy gave me this skimmer and pump, we weren't sure if it worked. I put it together and tried to test it. Are syaing that the pump connect to the left PVC, which is where the water is coming out on the second pic?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NO. The part comming from the pump to the skimmer should be a solid hose. The part with the air hose should be connected to the front of the pump with an air line sticking out of the water.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would also put a gate valve on the pipe with the water coming out for better tunning.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mike, It has a gate valve already. I will try what you suggested but the way the connectors are I don't see how they would fit on that side.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Put a small piece of tube on the front then the venturi into the hose.

Now I'm not an expert or anything close but... Isn't the pump supposed to be on the other side so the bubbles go in from the bottom??
All the skimmers I have seen have it going in to the bottom intake. just curious.

Gene

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Like this?
566_18_04_09_1_20_54.jpg

Didn't see the part about a small hose. Unfortunately, I don't have any that diameter.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
yuyiboy said:
Now I'm not an expert or anything close but... Isn't the pump supposed to be on the other side so the bubbles go in from the bottom??
All the skimmers I have seen have it going in to the bottom intake. just curious.

Gene

If you look at the last pic, you can see an elbow going down to the bottom of the skimmer. You couldn't see that till he just posted the last pic.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mike, the setup in the last pic didn't work. From what was last posted bu yboy should I move the pump to the other PVC?