• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sometimes our jobs overwhelm us...

As some of you may know, I am a firefighter in atlantic city. Along with the job comes water rescue training. We were called to a 10 year old victim pulled under the waves last night. We've been searching up through tonight with no results. We've been swimming and walking for the past 2 days......ACFD, ACPD, Coast Guard, ACBP, and State Police. The outcome seems to be nothing short of terrible. Sometimes this job gets to be very mentally draining. Ive seen my share of disaster and death on this job. You simply never lose that nasty feeling in your stomach when a child is your victim. Please pray for the family of 10 year old Khitan Devine of Philly and please pray for some God given miracle that we find Devine. We'll continue again in the morning.

It makes me put things into persepective when I bitch about the problems I encounter in my tank.

It is sad when you are needed for this job but a wonderful thing that people like you are there. It's not a job for everyone.

When I lived on Brig many many years ago my house mate was a LG on the Michigan Ave beach. People do not realize how dangerous the AC beach can be.

It is sad when you are needed for this job but a wonderful thing that people like you are there. It's not a job for everyone.

When I lived on Brig many many years ago my house mate was a LG on the Michigan Ave beach. People do not realize how dangerous the AC beach can be.
I am sure I knew ur roomate. Thank you by the way.

I hope you can find them! I was just down there staying in Ventnor City for my friend's bachelor party and was in AC also.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh. It's a tough fight for even an adult to survive getting pulled under... let alone a 10 yr old kid who probably barely knows how to swim.

I don't think people realize how powerful the ocean can be and unfortunately some people find out the hard way.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative in your thread because I'm sure you and everyone else searching is devastated right now. My point is mainly that I hope that none of you blame yourself for not being able to find Devine in time. I'm also sure that the family of Devine are thankful for all of your efforts.

Hopefully, this will at least inspire a bit more caution with others and their young ones and maybe this type of accident can be prevented in the future. If anyone takes their children to the beach... please keep a close eye on them at all times and don't let them get to far away from an adult when in the water.

I surf and am often in the water when waves are big or currents are strong. Its amazing how many parents let their kids in the water relying soley on the lifeguards. It is the gueards responsability to a point, but parents need to think. This is a perfect example. I am in tonight at 6:00, I am sure we'll be walking the beaches again.

It was he same way as a police officer . You kind of get numb to it all until its a child . Everybody sees the glory side of jobs like yours and never realize all it takes is one incident to whipe them all from your mind . You are doing a great thing everyday ,helping without asking who or why , keep strong and safe .

It was he same way as a police officer . You kind of get numb to it all until its a child . Everybody sees the glory side of jobs like yours and never realize all it takes is one incident to whipe them all from your mind . You are doing a great thing everyday ,helping without asking who or why , keep strong and safe .

You are right. When you get put on a job, it sometimes really hits home. Especially when there is a child involved or a death that was caused. A death of a child is probably the worst thing that any person in public safety can deal with. Numb is the good way to put it, I have found that we can deal with the gore and the blood because it became "part of the job". But seeing a child injured or dead is not "part of the job" in the same way.