• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sour tale of Ecotech Vortech pumps

Alright, so as of about a week ago, I was a big fan of Ecotech Vortech pumps, I have an MP40 plus the WXM module for my Apex to control it. I was about to participate in a group buy and I added an MP60 to my order. Then I found out that Ecotech doesn't allow retailers to discount their products. I am NOT a fan of this business practice, setting a price point to make your product SEEM high-end and allow you to spend oodles marketing it, rather than competing on the actual merits.

It brought the pros and cons of the Vortech line into sharp focus for me:
Pro: Limited heat added to water, controllable
Con: Expensive, can't be angled, noisy, wet side must be replaced every year or two

There is some debate on whether they can be considered noisy, but I'll skip a few paragraphs ahead and compare the MP40 to a Sicce Voyager HP 4000... I can be in another room, and be able to tell whether the MP40 is running, and what speed it's running. I can be 6" away from the tank with my ear facing it and not be able to tell if the Sicce is running. I have to look at the propeller to see if it's on. So if you want to mince words, the MP40 is not silent... It should be, for the cost.

Soooo, I've decided I'm going to find a better, cheaper way forward. When I was first designing my tank, I wanted to ensure that I'd not need a chiller, so the Vortech seemed to be a requirement. But I now realize that my previous tanks got most of their heat gain from the lighting and the internal MAG pumps, so this isn't a requirement anymore. I also realize that variable flow is not on my requirement list. I only run the MP40 below its max flow because it is too LOUD when it's running full blast. In my ideal world, I'd run it cycling on and off against another pump, full blast to off, silently...

Enter the Sicce Voyager HP 4000. It's a propeller pump, it pushes 4000gph, it is silent, can be angled, and costs $170 from Amazon, shipped Prime. I ordered two, one for either end of my 6' tank (my original plan was an MP40 on one side, and MP60 on the other). So I turned off the MP40, and put the Sicce in the same position on the side wall, and turned it on. It couldn't hear it. I turned it off. Turned it on and looked at it, ok, propeller is spinning. Woah, vortexes on the water surface (impressive, since it's about 18" down). The thing stirred up a BUNCH of detritus, and the entire tank was whipping around (not just the first 3', like what the MP40 was doing). I was really shocked, that it was apparently pushing SO MUCH more than the MP40 (to be fair, the Vortech was not on full-blast, but also keep in mind it would have been if it was quiet). Then I put in the second Sicce on the other end of the tank, put them both on a 5 minute on/off cycle, offset by 2:30... The tank became a snow globe for a while.

These pumps are great, cheap, silent starting, silent running. 50w each, might end up lowering my power bill a tiny bit since my tank currently demands heating all day and night, might as well put some of the MP40's power usage back into the tank. Time will tell how they last, but they are Sicce, these aren't Koralias (I have own of those for salt-mixing, not impressed)... They start the correct direction, don't have that silly rubber bumper.

Very likely I'll be putting my MP40 + WXM up on the for sale forum shortly. Who wants one? :p

Sad to say that I'm in the same boat as you. I have 3 MP40's that are pretty quiet but I still can't get past that they make SOME noise at full power. Not when I have Tunze pumps that are deathly Silent. I will also be switching my Vortech's out for controllable or non controllable Tunzes. Guess now's a great time to let them go seeing as they are all cleaned up and ready to rock and roll.

thank you for this thread! i'm slowly building up my materials for a 75 build & was debating on dual MP10s but was concerned about A) wet side replacement & B) I can't angle them.

I'm using my Apex switch them, though I'm sure any wave timer or controller would do just fine.

Ryan, want to buy an MP40? :chuncky:

I'm using my Apex switch them, though I'm sure any wave timer or controller would do just fine.

Ryan, want to buy an MP40? :chuncky:

haha I think i'll pickup tunze or sicce pumps instead :tongue:
the idea that I can't angle them was a big deal to me I don't know why it just doesn't work in my head.

malulu

NJRC Member
one good thing on MP40 is the are quite small ...
compared to TUNZE & SICCE pumps.

i have a MP40 & 3 TUNZE 6080/6100/6200 pumps.

I agree with David...The reason I stick with the Vortech's are that they are small and inconspicuous. The tunze and sicce are ugly and take up too much room.

I also have no problem with the noise as mine are quiet and I have them at 100%. And I have never in 4-5 years had to replace a wet or dry side....except for the wet side "cage" I dropped and stepped on :)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The other great thing about Vortechs is that there's no wires in the tank either. No chance of electrocuting your fish and also you don't have to worry about running a wire through a top or canopy.

I haven't replaced a wetside or dryside on mine in over 2 years either.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like mixing the flow of Tunze & Vortech. The difference in the flow of these PHs is vast in terms of how they move water. I've not tried out a Voyager yet but the 4000 gph modle has my attention. I'm sure it is different from the Tunze or Vortech. I really mixing it up. I change the mode on the Vortechs daily to change up the flow. I think it really helps to have variability.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have been using vortechs since 2009 when I picked up my first mp10 at MACNA. We ran that pump for years and even at full blast never heard a peep out of it and it still has the original wet side. When we upgraded tanks we picked up an mp20 and again no problems with the pump at all. In fact I had a reefer over our apartment and they even commented on the silence of them. In our old apartment we had 2 of them running in our living room where we where pretty much all the time and I can never remember hearing them. Now we have 2 mp40s running on different tanks, one at full speed and the only time I hear it is when a snail is on it (this one is also in our living room where we are a lot). The one running on the 45g is at about half speed and I never hear it. Also I have these on reef crest mode. The one mp40 we have now is the old mp20 that I upgraded using their kit which was incredibly easy to do.

Now before I had vortechs I ran koralias so I cannot comment on tunzes or the Sicce pumps as I have always had the vortechs. I also know I have been to other reefers places that have mp40s and have heard them make noise so I understand the complaints. I know there has been a lot of bad stories about Ecotech going around here, just wanted to share my experience.

malulu

NJRC Member
the MP40 does have noise...
i have it in the reef mode, when at night i am in my 2nd floor bed room, i can hear the MP40's randomness speed of loud and light humming in the background down stair.

why don't TUNZE and Voyager made a smaller power heads!!! they don't have to make it so big... may be some thing flat and small with 3 or 4 propellers would work too...

Yeah, size-wise the voyager loses... Not such a big deal in my tank, but i can see the reason to like the Vortech for that.

I think one of the reasons I'm sour is that some folks have silent ones, and I don't. I lost the Ecotech quality control lottery. I paid the price, I want that to go towards the product, not towards marketing.