• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS bleaching. Could it be fish related?

So I came home today to what it looks like 2 dead corals. They were knocked down and bleached. I still need to run tests to see what's going on, but I noticed something interesting. A Jewel Damsel I got 2 days ago won't leave those 2 corals alone. It keeps pecking at it non-stop even after knocking it over again and again. Now, I don't know if it's simply just eating some dead tissues, or if it's possible that it pecked at it until it got stressed enough to bleach it. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Could be dead and bleached because they fell in the sand. Damsel could be trying to eat some sort of flatworm. Could be a lot of things. Damsels don't typically murder coral indiscriminately

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I know its an old post but it has my interest. . It may sound odd but damsels clean an area usually a smooth surface to prepare a nesting surface for eggs. By any chance is that what it was doing?