• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sps growth shot

Tank: 40 Breeder. 15gal eshopps sump
70-90lbs of live rock. mix of fiji/tonga/vanuatu/caribbean ( I want to take some out to open up the tank)

Skimmer: Eshopps S-150 cone skimmer

Water Movment: Eheim 1260 return pump, MP10es, Koralia 850

Lights: Aquatic life 36in "linking fixture" 6 bulbs 3 Blue Plus 3 Aquablue Special

Running Zeovit for 3 months now. Also just switched to esv salt 1 month ago.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you for the reply, what do you think is the one thing that has helped you out the most? Or is is a combination of all of them?

I would have to say zeovit made the biggest difference(I had a DSB w/fuge before).Keeping Phos and Nites down is very easy now. I've never had sps have such kick a$$ polyp extension. Growth and colors are hands down better then before. LPS corals are growing like weeds now also good night time polyp extension. ( torch, hammer, ducan corals looks like the lights are still on)

The zeo additives I use are: Phol Xtra,Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, Amino Acid, Zeo Start, Zeo Bac, and Zeo Food.

Good salt 2nd. I went from reef crystals (lots of 2part and mag needed always had some type of cyano) to oceanic salt (less 2part less mag needed over the week less cyano). Coral snow and Zeo Bac cleared up cyano within 2-3weeks.

I love the esv salt. mixes clear and fast. Just take time measuring and you won't have problems. I find sifting the salt/mag before measuring gets a more accurate batch. PH is better 8.0-8.4 over the day vs 7.8-8.2 with oceanic. I only have to add 2part cal/alk/mag every 4days now. Hard to tell if colors and growth are better only time will tell. But yes I love the esv salt.

Honestly I am more impressed with the complete removal of the hair algae. No knock on the coral mind you.

I know I wish I took a pic of the tank when the bottom half of the tank was just about covered. That is the other thing the zeovit system has helped with hair algae just cant grow. When the system really kicked into gear the algae would just blow off the rocks.eat.jpg

Last edited:
I would have to say zeovit made the biggest difference(I had a DSB w/fuge before).Keeping Phos and Nites down is very easy now. I've never had sps have such kick a$$ polyp extension. Growth and colors are hands down better then before. LPS corals are growing like weeds now also good night time polyp extension. ( torch, hammer, ducan corals looks like the lights are still on)

The zeo additives I use are: Phol Xtra,Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, Amino Acid, Zeo Start, Zeo Bac, and Zeo Food.

What/who's reactor are you using, i.e. Vertex? How much/often are you dosing the additives?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you for your replies, you have had such great growth it is nice to share your regiment. I know others who have had great success with zeo and think it is in my near future.

What/who's reactor are you using, i.e. Vertex? How much/often are you dosing the additives?

I just use a phosban reactor since I don't need a huge volume of stones. It's just more work to shake the stones to release the mulm.

I would say my tank is maybe 50gal water volume.

I dose the following 50% recommended ammount by zeovit. They call for 1ml per 25gal and 1 drop per 25gal per day.
Phol Xtra 1ml per day
Coral Snow 1ml per day
Amino Acid 1 drop per day
Coral Vitalizer 1 drop per day
Sponge Power 1 drop per day (forgot to list it before)

These three are the recommened ammount for 50gal that I dose
Zeo Start .3ml per day
Zeo Bac 2 drops 3 times a week
Zeo Food 2 drops 3 times a week (when you change the stones in the reactor zeo bac and food become a everyday dose for 2 weeks)

I"m far from a expert with the zeo system. This is what I'm having good results with so far. I change 10 gal of water a week also.

View attachment 2075View attachment 2076Here is my green stylophora on day one 9-22-11 and today 10-25-11

It really looks good. It's amazing what the right environment will do, isn't it.

I was about to jump into the Zeolites a couple of months ago, in fact I bought a Vertex 3l reactor for it. But, like the old carpenters adage, "measure twice, cut once", I lept before I looked, and it was too big for my cabinet. So, I've just started the bio-pellet thing, with one of the BRS reactors, and will give that a try.