• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Start of my Oceanic 215 build

Hello fellow reefers,

Well I finally got my new tank in the house today it took 4 guys to lift the beast. Its a RR 215 gallon oceanic ultimate series tank with a starfire front panel beveled edges and a black painted back panel. the only thing i do not like is the fact that it has a 23" glass brace in the center of the tank If i would have know that i probably would have gone with a 180 instead, but i do love the tank so it's staying and i'll make it work. It will make rockscaping the center very difficult. I will probably make 2 seperate islands leaving the center open for swimming room. I am also in the process of curing an additional 150lbs of beautiful tonga fusion live rock that i purchased. it has awesome shapes i can't wait to use it. Pics of the tank are below.

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

More to come soon
Harry

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sweet tank! We had an Oceanic 120 with a simialr center brace, just not quite as wide. It came in handy for holding cups of food while they defrosted but that's about it. Other than that it was a pain to work around and it blocked more light than I would have expected.

Congrats, though. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the tank. That starfire is really nice. Keep the progress pics coming.

:eek: WOW nice tank what other equipment will you be using? My poor tank could still fit in the openings at the top ;)

Thanks all,

Well i haven't decided on the skimmer yet but i have time since the new rock won't be cured for about 4-5 weeks. I'm going to do a 40 gallon breeder sump fuge temporarily until I have a 75-100 gallon acrylic sump built hopefully by spring time. I am also going to build a hanging custom canopy that will house 2 250w retro halides and probably 8-12 48 or 60" tek t5's. I will build a custom stainless steel rack that i will powder coat black to hold the hanging custom canopy. I haven't designed that yet. As for rockscaping i think i'm going to have 2 seperate islands as a design. Pictures will come every step of the way.

Harry

i think the two islands is a great idea - you have plenty of length to make it work. I agree with everyone...tank and stand are gorgeous!

Nice Tank
Before you fill it throw a level on it to make sure everthing is level
Good luck with the build

Jason

Very nice tank and good luck with the build.

My 220 still sits all wrapped up while I fiddle with plans :p ... hope you make better progress than me so I can take notes!

Glad to see you went with the 215 Harry. Looking good .. I can't wait to see the progress but I know your a patiant man. Good luck.

I am patient but i got the itch, i wanna see it full and running badly. But until my rock is cured at least 3 weeks it will have to wait. I still have to build a sump/fuge which i was going to do out of a 40 gallon breeder until i get an acrylic 75-100 gallon one made. I'll have pics of the new rock i'm curing tomorrow. it's really nice pieces

Harry

Hi Harry,

Great looking tank and stand!!! I have an Oceanic 135 with oak stand and canopy so I am familiar with the large center brace..More times than not it gets in my way when tending to any rock/corals directly under or near it. My suggestion would
be to keep much of the area under the brace relatively open using a low structure and/or cave. Of course,this must fit into an overall landscape that you like.

As for the canopy, I removed the top and built a rail across the width of each end (side) on top of which rests a 72" MH
fixture that is 3x150 and 2x70 watts. It is about 5-6" above the brace and 7-8" above the water. I clean both the top and underside of the brace often to get rid of the caked salt spray that builds up.

Good Luck. I look foward to seeing how you set it up.

Dom

thanks for the info on the canopy. I'm still in the process of designing my canopy but i have to figure out the support for it first. Well below are pics of some of the new live rock i'm curing. great color and interesting shapes.

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

Thanks
Harry

malulu

NJRC Member
Dom,

can you help to post a picture of your canopy in action?
i am interested to see how it looks like...
thx

David

Look up the old thread by Jrod started on October 1, 2007 asking for full tank pix....Mine is on page 7...The thin black line at the top of the canopy is the top of the Aqua Medic MH light fixture. Photo taken with camera angled up a little hence so lttle seen of the fixture.
From a seated position anywhere in the room only a little of the fixture's top is visible while none of the light itself can be seen as it is all behind the canopy.

I'm 5'11' tall and when standing, the top of the canopy is at about chin level and the top of the fixture at about eye level.

Two issues with this setup...the first concerns cooling and the second is placement of the fixture. Instead of drilling holes on the sides of the canopy and installing computer type fans, I use two 4" fans set on the glass top which runs across the rear third of the tank (the front
two thirds is open topped). Given our aim of maintaining room temp at about 70 degees give or take 2-3 degrees depending on the season, this
works for me.(Note: fans need to be cleaned of dust often and occasionally WD-40'd to offset the high humidity).

Finally, the closer you place the fixture to the front of the canopy, the less light is visible outside the canopy even when standing.

Dom