• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T-5 Lighting Opinions

Hey all!! I have been doing some research on what light fixture to upgrade to. I currently have a Coralife Power Compact 4 X 96 Watt with lunar lights on my 90 Gallon mixed reef tank. The fixture has been great but I am starting to get a little more into some easy SPS corals and figure I will need a more intense light. I dont really want to get into MH becuase of costs etc..

My coral stock is as follows:
Green Carpet Anemone
Torch Coral
Candy Cane
Button Polyps
Cabbage Leather
Purple Devils Hand Leather
Yellow Fuji Tonga Leather
Rabbits Ear
Green Sinularia Leather
Yellow Porites
Hydnophora Horn
Pectinia
Toad Stool
Mushrooms

The light fixtures I was looking at are on the Marine Depot website. Is anyone familiar or have an opinion on these fixtures?

Current USA Fluorescent Nova Extreme Fixtures (4 x54W)
AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs (4 X 54W)
Wave Point T5 HO Lighting System (4 x54W)
Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x54W w/ Timers & LED Lunar
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 10k/460nm Actinics (6 X 54W)
Current USA Fluorescent Nova Extreme Fixtures Lunar (8 X 54W)

They start from $289 at the top and go to $499 at the bottom. Any info would be great

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You probably want to have a minimum of 6 bulbs. Also, poke around premiumaquatics.com they have some of the nicer fixtures (but they are more expensive). Also, we are having a group buy through them to save money.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I will vouch for the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro (6 bulb) or the older Current USA Nova Extreme (8 bulb). Great growth and with 8 bulb the ability to mix and match bulbs you can get the look exactly how you want it.

Welcome to NJRC! Second on checking out www.premiumaquatics.com. Your timing is great, assuming you become a member, the group buy is right on time for you.
Lots of people love the Tek lights.
I second you want at least 6 bulbs. Eight will be super.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SL-960165&Category_Code=Sunlight-tek-elite
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SL-960040&Category_Code=Sunlight-tek
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-USA01081&Category_Code=Current-T5
Minus our discount and you get pretty unbeatable prices.
Good luck.

What about a tek 6 bulb unit? They should be in your price range, anf from what Ive heard its a real quality fixture. I went with an ATI fixture, they might be a little expensive though, mine was 430 shipped with bulbs for a 4x24.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would like to point out that the group buy with Premium Aquatics is for NJRC members only. However, there is still time to join and get in on the group buy! ;D It ends on the 25 of February.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been in the saltwater hobby for about 8 months now after years of freshwater tanks. So I have learned tons on this site and appreciate all you help. I will be posting pics of my tank this weekend!

I am leaning toward the 48" Nova Extreme Pro 6x54watt T5HO 10K/460nm since it fits closer to my budget.

How do I get into the group buy? I am a member NJ Reefers but when I click on the Group Buy link I receive an error mesessage??

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kados, unless you just recently paid and submitted an application, looking under your screen name, I do not see “NJRC Member.”  If you look at the post just above your last post, from ken6217, you’ll see “NJRC Member” just below his name.

There are two types of members;

There are FORUM members, where anybody can join for free and talk on the best saltwater website in the country.  Again, no cost, and access to post and respond to the forum.

There are also NJRC members, where anybody can join, but it now cost you a whopping twelve dollars (plus paypal fees) per year.  For this enormous sum you now have access to members only forums, including the group buys.  In addition, we teach you the secret handshake. ;D

Membership information can be found HERE.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
redfishbluefish said:
In addition, we teach you the secret handshake. ;D

Don't let redfishbluefish teach you the secret handshake, I still have nightmares.

I'm using the 8x54 Nova on a 75. I was a bit skeptical about this fixture since I wanted to keeps mainly SPS corals. I'm really happy with my purchase and I can grow SPS corals in my sand bed.

I'm currently running with 12,000k & 420 NM actinic. (4) each but I may mix it up to (3) or (4) different tubes. I really like the flexibility with the (8) bulb. Good luck with the new setup.

How deep are the individual reflectors? I noticed a huge difference between my current sundial and ati. The sundial's reflectors are only about 60% of the bulb, where my sunmodule is probably like 150%! It could probably stand on the reflectors!