• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 Discussion to help a noob (me)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I’m running a 30g tank, 36” long. Tank is 12” deep.
4” above the tank is a 4 bulb T5 (36”/39w bulbs).
Bulb brands are mixed now, Geissman and ATI (2 blue, 1 actinic, 1 coral plus).
Two lights run from 10am to 6pm, with additional 2 kicking in from 12 to 4pm.

Some of my montis are losing color in patches, and now a few sps are showing the same.
I have no idea if I’m beginning to kill corals from too much par, too little par, too much light time, or too little light time.

So, a few questions from a new T5 guy (yes, I’m reading about as well).
For such a popular lighting method there’s remarkably little ‘layman’s’ information about.

1. Is there a ‘general PAR’ reading for a generic 4 bulb setup at different depths? I understand each bulb is different, but assuming a quality bulb, is there an estimated par at 0”, 6”, 12”, etc?

2. In a 12” deep tank, lights 4” off surface, in general are 2 T5s enough light? Are 4 T5s too much?

3. Tied in with the above question, I’m running 2 bulbs for 8 hours. During this there is a 4 hour Period with 4 bulbs on. Is this too little? Too much?

4. I understand PAR is radiation and red/blue based and that lux is visual light and is green based, yet I’m reading of people using a cheap lux meter and performing a calculation to get a ‘sort of accurate’ PAR. Anyone done this or know of any info that backs it?

Thanks in advance.
I’d like to keep on the topic of PAR and the questions above and not have this spiral into a single discussion on where to buy LUX meters or such.

Last edited:

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
whenever I ran T5s, I always just used them as supplemental lighting. I always had MH or LEDs as the main. the colors were brighter than ever.

I would try and mount them up higher. I had a 4 bulb over a 18inch deep tank with the light 6 inches above the tank. I was able to grow clams on the sand bed. So you might be blasting them with light.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sound like you are bleaching the coral. I have T5 11" inches off the top of the water. Tank is 16" deep. All of my zoas are on the sand. All doing great except for two plugs from different vendors....Nivanna - they are both in the shade and still are getting too much light and are somewhat bleached. Acros are placed mid tank and do well there, but they had to start on the sand bed first and slowly moved up.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am running the aquatic life t5 hybrid I got from you. I have them mounted over a frag tank that’s 12” deep. When I run the t5 alone
I am getting around 130-200 at 12” above the tank. I use my seneye to test par

Does the light have individual reflectors and fans? T5 par ranges widely depending on the fixture. Do you the brand of the fixture?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sorry for falling behind on this thread. I had opened another regarding T5 diffusion and the convo continued there.
Most likely should have kept it to 1 thread but I'm livin life on the edge.

Hi I have a hybrid system with 4 t5’s and two rows of leds blue and white alternating. It’s time to replace my t5’s and was hoping for some help getting the right bulbs to help grow some corals. The bulbs are 36 inches the tank is a 120 gallon tank 24 inches deep. I think right now I have 2 coral plus 1 actini and 1 aqua blue special. Any help would be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 27248

Lightshock is a possibility....also there needs to be enough nitrate and phosphate to let them Flourish.I am 9” above the water...t5 get about 50-60 par per bulb, as per BRS investigates.

Attachments

• AE8B32C7-5371-4EFE-878C-F0B6BB3A077E.png
    AE8B32C7-5371-4EFE-878C-F0B6BB3A077E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • ACD62398-C994-46CB-A2D4-D1640B0D3F84.png
    ACD62398-C994-46CB-A2D4-D1640B0D3F84.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
D

Deleted member 27248

Lightshock is a possibility....also there needs to be enough nitrate and phosphate to let them Flourish.I am 9” above the water...t5 get about 50-60 par per bulb, as per BRS investigates.
Didn’t realize how old this post was mark...whoops!

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hi I have a hybrid system with 4 t5’s and two rows of leds blue and white alternating. It’s time to replace my t5’s and was hoping for some help getting the right bulbs to help grow some corals. The bulbs are 36 inches the tank is a 120 gallon tank 24 inches deep. I think right now I have 2 coral plus 1 actini and 1 aqua blue special. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hi @scubadude you may want to start your own thread. It would get more attention then this old thread. But maybe by me replying it may bump the response.