• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Taking out a RR overflow

Who was it on here that removed their overflow from a Deep Blue 57g? I’m moving soon and I’m considering doing it before I set it back up. Would like to get some advice on what tools I need and what kind of overflow I should get. Thanks!

That makes sense but I was wondering what he used to drill the tank and what kind of overflow he used. I’ve never drilled a tank before so I’m just nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
That makes sense but I was wondering what he used to drill the tank and what kind of overflow he used. I’ve never drilled a tank before so I’m just nervous

I think you're talking about my old build iTzJu's FIFTY7 EDGE

I just used razor blades to carefully take the silicone off on edges of the overflow, i made sure not to cut the silicone connecting the bottom seam. I use a glass-holes overflow for this one but I would use a ghost type overflow, I also used bulkheads to plug the pre-drilled holes but I would get a 1/4" thick glass and then silicone it to the bottom to plug up the holes if i were to do it again.

I just did this to a 34 Gallon Deep Blue Tank. cut out the corner overflow, silcione glass to plug up the pre-drilled holes and then drilled for a eshopps eclipse overflow.

I think you're talking about my old build iTzJu's FIFTY7 EDGE

I just used razor blades to carefully take the silicone off on edges of the overflow, i made sure not to cut the silicone connecting the bottom seam. I use a glass-holes overflow for this one but I would use a ghost type overflow, I also used bulkheads to plug the pre-drilled holes but I would get a 1/4" thick glass and then silicone it to the bottom to plug up the holes if i were to do it again.

I just did this to a 34 Gallon Deep Blue Tank. cut out the corner overflow, silcione glass to plug up the pre-drilled holes and then drilled for a eshopps eclipse overflow.

Yes it was you! Thank you! What did you use to cut the new bulkhead holes?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yes it was you! Thank you! What did you use to cut the new bulkhead holes?

If you go with an Eshopps Eclipse, it will have the diamond coated drill bit included with the kit as well as a template. Glass-holes.com will also have the bit included if you opt for it and template. just take your time drilling, let the drill bit to the work. you're pretty much just applying slight pressure and mostly guiding the bit. this tank has 1/2" glass so drilling can take awhile, but definitely take your time.

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!! Debating if I want to go this route or maybe upgrade a little bit. Been lookin at that Deep Blue 80g tank [emoji16]

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!! Debating if I want to go this route or maybe upgrade a little bit. Been lookin at that Deep Blue 80g tank [emoji16]

no worries bro, good luck! heard deep blue might discontinue making tanks so better get one asap.

Nooo... really?! That’s a shame, they make very nice tanks for sure. My 57 is one of the best made tanks I think I have ever owned.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nooo... really?! That’s a shame, they make very nice tanks for sure. My 57 is one of the best made tanks I think I have ever owned.

My same reaction, i just heard it through the grapevine so I am not 100% certain but they were definitely quality tanks for the value.