• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I also posted this on another forum because someone asked me if my method would work in a small tank of 29 gallons.

Dkmoo, my tank was started in a 40 gallon tank. I started it with ocean water from the East River near Manhattan because thats what I had and I couldn't get ASW. I also used rocks from jetty's in New York. I fed worms and things I could find as there was no salt water food sold at the time. Remember, the hobby didn't even start yet.

That 40 gallon tank had some problems for sure. Ich was everywhere and there was no copper medications because we didn't use that in fresh water. I found a scientist who told me about copper so I got pennies and put them in. I found out from Robert Straughn, (The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping) to use 20 pennies to the gallon. (pennies are no longer made of copper so don't try this)

My old log book tells of all the problems I had and the medications I used were for humans and didn't work well.

I had a lot of fish then as fish came on the market, I bought them.
LFSs were popping up in the 80s but no one knew what they were doing and I bought all the new fish anyway and experimented until I could figure out what the fish needed. At the time I was also SCUBA diving in the tropics and in New York for lobsters.

Remember this was way before computers cell phones or the internet so there was also no bad information. As far as I knew, I was the only one with a salt tank.
But eventually I figured out what to do and I accidentally started feeding my 7 blue devils live worms that I used to feed to my fresh water tanks of which I think I had 14.

They started to spawn and lived for 7 years. Then I discovered that I didn't need the pennies any more and all my fish were living for many years. Of course I had accidents and lost fish as I barely knew what I was doing and when you do things by trial and error, you will fail more then you win.

Blue devil eggs circa 1972

It took until the early 80s when I think I had it down to a science and stopped losing fish to communicable diseases.
Then much later the internet came out and everyone had an opinion. Thats when the problems started and no one any more experimented, they all asked for opinions. Opinions now are fine but to ask for opinions from people who started the hobby last Tuesday and have kept one damsel for a couple of weeks on life support was not a good idea.

I wrote a few articles in the paper magazines then and like now, people would ask me questions.
(remember, even in those days I still had the oldest tank around) ;)

I would say to feed live worms and clams etc. People would write back and say: Oh thats great, I can't get that so I will feed corn flakes is that OK?..

And thats the way it has always gone.

But getting back to your question of a small tank. For many years I kept a 5 gallon salt tank using NSW and rocks from New York water. Much of it was asphalt, cinder blocks and bricks,

I hatched out these octopus in a small tank.

And kept cool creatures. Most of which I collected in the sea

This was my tank I think in the 80s

Those small 5 gallon tanks using bricks,NSW and local creatures never crashed or had any disease problems. Not once. Don't tell some of the people on here because it would be an argument as they can't grasp having healthy fish by using parasites to control parasites.

Of course none of those people can show their still running tanks from when the hobby started.
Remember us Geezers invented quarantine, copper and medications, that is not a modern thing from the internet. It was because we were un informed and didn't realize that the fish could stay healthy if we stayed out of their way and dealt with diseases the way they have been for millions of years.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I found my Log book. It seems that in 1982 I got a computer. An Apple 2C. But that didn't go on line. (I don't think there was an internet to go on then but I don't remember.
The thing only typed so it was an expensive typewriter.

It would also make Christmas cards, banners etc.
I kept the log until 1992. Most of it is just when I got a new fish or lost fish. The medications I used and stuff like that. I didn't write the every day mundane things and sometimes I went for months before i wrote anything.

I believe so much in your methods ( even before I started my own tank) I kept seahorses for 2 years in small setups,, and when I got my reef tank going I tried to keep try to letting Mother Nature handle it. Then came across your thread on R2R, it was like you were talking to me and saying just keep doing what your doing.
I remember calling you and asking what I can do to control my GHA,, and your response was classic,, you told me
“ Go take a look at it , then turn around and walk away”
That was the extent of your advice,, priceless,,

Paul B

NJRC Member
Oh Nooooo. Dead fish!!!!!

My wife and I came back from Costco a little while ago and when I looked in my tank!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAhhhhhhhhh, I saw something yellow sticking out from under a rock....... My yellow tang......Dead!!!!

OMG, I never have a dead fish. What will I do....My reputation is shot and I will have to go and eat worms, maybe stick my head in the dolomite at the bottom of my tank...

Then as I reached for the net, I realized........I don't have a yellow tang.

I looked closer and noticed, it was a mangrove tree leaf. I am baby sitting 4 mangrove plants in my tank for someone and I guess a leaf fell off.

Oh Well, catastrophe averted. :p

Paul B

NJRC Member
This week I got my wife a new Jeep. An orange one so now we have an orange Jeep and a Yellow one now on Halloween we will look very cool and with the times. :D

This Jeep like mine is "Trail Rated" and it has settings for rain, snow, mud and rocks, not that she is ever going off the pavement but we do drive on the beach occasionally which is behind our house. ;)

View attachment 1982355

Jeep.jpeg

We turned in the exact same Jeep in red because the tires got dirty. (and the lease was up)
My wife has MS and can't use her right leg at all so yesterday I installed whats called a "Left Foot Gas pedal". It is this contraption that sits on the floor and has a gas pedal all the way on the left side of the drivers side floor and pushes down on the normal gas pedal .

The brake stays where it is. I took her to a handicapped driving school to learn how to use this thing and she had to get certified for it. Next week we will go to the DMV because they will put a restriction on her license and give her handicapped plates.

The Left Gas thing lifts right out so I can also use the car . The device is made in the US and developed and sold by a wounded Veteran so I like it even better.

Today for the first time I will take her out practicing because I don't want her to solo until I am sure she can drive safely because she has to get used to using the gas and brake with her left foot.
She also has not driven in almost a year since her leg got worse.

When I taught her how to drive I had a stick shift so she knows how to use her left foot and she has been driving for 50 years. (we have been very happily married for 47 years :) )

After she gets the driving down pat we will have to figure out how she will get her walker into and out of the car without falling. That may be harder than driving.

So if this all works out well she can go to her hair, facial, doctors etc, without me taking her there and waiting. :)

This week I got my wife a new Jeep. An orange one so now we have an orange Jeep and a Yellow one now on Halloween we will look very cool and with the times. :D

This Jeep like mine is "Trail Rated" and it has settings for rain, snow, mud and rocks, not that she is ever going off the pavement but we do drive on the beach occasionally which is behind our house. ;)

View attachment 1982355

View attachment 34646

We turned in the exact same Jeep in red because the tires got dirty. (and the lease was up)
My wife has MS and can't use her right leg at all so yesterday I installed whats called a "Left Foot Gas pedal". It is this contraption that sits on the floor and has a gas pedal all the way on the left side of the drivers side floor and pushes down on the normal gas pedal .

The brake stays where it is. I took her to a handicapped driving school to learn how to use this thing and she had to get certified for it. Next week we will go to the DMV because they will put a restriction on her license and give her handicapped plates.

The Left Gas thing lifts right out so I can also use the car . The device is made in the US and developed and sold by a wounded Veteran so I like it even better.

Today for the first time I will take her out practicing because I don't want her to solo until I am sure she can drive safely because she has to get used to using the gas and brake with her left foot.
She also has not driven in almost a year since her leg got worse.

When I taught her how to drive I had a stick shift so she knows how to use her left foot and she has been driving for 50 years. (we have been very happily married for 47 years :) )

After she gets the driving down pat we will have to figure out how she will get her walker into and out of the car without falling. That may be harder than driving.

So if this all works out well she can go to her hair, facial, doctors etc, without me taking her there and waiting. :)
very cool

Paul B

NJRC Member
We went for a couple of miles ride just now for practice and she didn't hit to many things. ;)

Actually I taught her how to drive many years ago on a stick shift so it is a little easier for her to use her left food. She did great.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Someone asked me about fancy gadgets on my tank.

AS you probably figured out, I don't have any fancy gadgets and if I did, I wouldn't be able to figure them out.

Just yesterday I am trying to get Covid shots for my wife and myself so I had to take a picture of my insurance card and put it on this on line form. The shot is free so I think they just want my information to see if I know how to do it. And I don't.

I am using my wife's newer computer and printer. I put the card in the printer and my education ends there as the rest of it is above my pay scale. I am hitting all the buttons and screaming at the thing in three languages. It is asking me stupid questions like do I want Jpeg or other initials which I have no idea about. I just want a picture of the thing and put it on my computer somewhere where I can find it. That never happens.

I want a printer like those "Jitterbug" phones they give old, senile people. The phones with the big numbers and all they do is let you call an EMS worker to say you've fallen and can't get up or is it time for my blue pill or the red one.

I want a printer with a big "ON and OFF" switch right in the middle of the thing. A real switch that goes up and down, not a lit up icon with a smiley face on it. Then I want to put on it whatever I want to scan and push a big red button that says "SCAN". Don't give me any choices as to the size, Landscape, vertical, color, black and white, "Fit to screen" etc. Just a big "SCAN" button. Nothing else. Especially nothing that says Bluetooth. I will just connect a wire to it, thank you very much. I mean the stupid thing is right next to the computer, how lazy can you be? Bend down and plug a wire in it.

After it scans, I want whatever I scanned, "exactly" like I scanned it to go, just as it is, to the middle of my computer screen. No place else. Even if the computer is off, I want it to go there. I don't want to file it, save it, name it, crop it, rotate it, E Mail it as that never works because you get a message saying "your computer is not configured to E Mail at this time call the Manager". The manager of what? Burger King?

Is that to much to ask for?
I went down to my Man cave where I have my Windows 7 computer. It still looks new because I put lemon oil all over the wooden sides of it. I push scan, the thing scanned and went right on my computer screen just like I wanted. No questions, no abbreviations, no sizes, colors etc.

This process only took the better part of one day so I am happy. But I still can't get Covid shots.

Someone asked me about fancy gadgets on my tank.

AS you probably figured out, I don't have any fancy gadgets and if I did, I wouldn't be able to figure them out.

Just yesterday I am trying to get Covid shots for my wife and myself so I had to take a picture of my insurance card and put it on this on line form. The shot is free so I think they just want my information to see if I know how to do it. And I don't.

I am using my wife's newer computer and printer. I put the card in the printer and my education ends there as the rest of it is above my pay scale. I am hitting all the buttons and screaming at the thing in three languages. It is asking me stupid questions like do I want Jpeg or other initials which I have no idea about. I just want a picture of the thing and put it on my computer somewhere where I can find it. That never happens.

I want a printer like those "Jitterbug" phones they give old, senile people. The phones with the big numbers and all they do is let you call an EMS worker to say you've fallen and can't get up or is it time for my blue pill or the red one.

I want a printer with a big "ON and OFF" switch right in the middle of the thing. A real switch that goes up and down, not a lit up icon with a smiley face on it. Then I want to put on it whatever I want to scan and push a big red button that says "SCAN". Don't give me any choices as to the size, Landscape, vertical, color, black and white, "Fit to screen" etc. Just a big "SCAN" button. Nothing else. Especially nothing that says Bluetooth. I will just connect a wire to it, thank you very much. I mean the stupid thing is right next to the computer, how lazy can you be? Bend down and plug a wire in it.

After it scans, I want whatever I scanned, "exactly" like I scanned it to go, just as it is, to the middle of my computer screen. No place else. Even if the computer is off, I want it to go there. I don't want to file it, save it, name it, crop it, rotate it, E Mail it as that never works because you get a message saying "your computer is not configured to E Mail at this time call the Manager". The manager of what? Burger King?

Is that to much to ask for?
I went down to my Man cave where I have my Windows 7 computer. It still looks new because I put lemon oil all over the wooden sides of it. I push scan, the thing scanned and went right on my computer screen just like I wanted. No questions, no abbreviations, no sizes, colors etc.

This process only took the better part of one day so I am happy. But I still can't get Covid shots.
my computer is win7 as well. i knew there was something good about you. i wasnt sure what it was but i was right as usual. nice to be me.

Paul B

NJRC Member
No Soloing for my wife today. She cancelled her appointment because of fears of Covid.
I stayed up all night to get a Covid Vaccine appointment and at 1:00 am I got an appointment but I couldn't get one for my wife. Right after I booked my appointment the web site said it is down for maintenance. Why don't they do the maintenance in the day time when the site doesn't work anyway and you can't get an appointment?

What is site maintenance anyway? Do they have to change the oil?

My wife had a shingles shot 2 days ago so they won't give her a Covid appointment for a month. :(

The web site for the Vaccine is really weird. They ask you if you are over 65 or a resident of Alabama or some other southern state.

I got my appointment at CVS, The state run sites are just stupid and you can't even schedule a quarantine for your Naso tang on there. None of those sites work and they also stupidly put a phone number on the site. Like that is ever going to work. :rolleyes:

lots of stories about ppl getting infected after getting vaccine. just keep in mind single shot is not that effective and in fact doesn't become effective for weeks afterwards.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Mickey, I am glad you told me that because right after I get the shot I was going to go to the Mall and try to kiss all the good looking sales girls. The ones with fevers. Until they shoot me of course. :biggrin:

I got scheduled for the Covid shot because I am a Geezer. :cool:
Age sometimes has it's privileges, besides the experience thing. ;)
Another benefit of aging is you don't have to spend money for haircuts and you don't remember who you don't like or why you don't like them.

Friends get better because you know them so long they are more than family as you went through so many ups and downs together.

As you know I have been married to my "starter" wife for 47 years. We were always very close but now as we aged together for so many years we are even closer and love each other even more than when we got married. We depend on each other and also as you know, she has MS so now I help her put on her shoes, clean, cook, make the beds etc. I love doing things for her.

She can still get around and now uses a walker but she falls and drops many things. If you are lucky enough to be married to your soul mate, every day is a pleasure even though age has it's pitfalls. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have someone like my wife to go through this journey with.

I do worry that I am 6 years older then her and if I croak, she may meet a young stud and forget all about me and become a biker Chick. :oops:

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I also posted this on another forum because someone asked me if my method would work in a small tank of 29 gallons.

Dkmoo, my tank was started in a 40 gallon tank. I started it with ocean water from the East River near Manhattan because thats what I had and I couldn't get ASW. I also used rocks from jetty's in New York. I fed worms and things I could find as there was no salt water food sold at the time. Remember, the hobby didn't even start yet.

That 40 gallon tank had some problems for sure. Ich was everywhere and there was no copper medications because we didn't use that in fresh water. I found a scientist who told me about copper so I got pennies and put them in. I found out from Robert Straughn, (The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping) to use 20 pennies to the gallon. (pennies are no longer made of copper so don't try this)

My old log book tells of all the problems I had and the medications I used were for humans and didn't work well.

I had a lot of fish then as fish came on the market, I bought them.
LFSs were popping up in the 80s but no one knew what they were doing and I bought all the new fish anyway and experimented until I could figure out what the fish needed. At the time I was also SCUBA diving in the tropics and in New York for lobsters.

Remember this was way before computers cell phones or the internet so there was also no bad information. As far as I knew, I was the only one with a salt tank.
But eventually I figured out what to do and I accidentally started feeding my 7 blue devils live worms that I used to feed to my fresh water tanks of which I think I had 14.

They started to spawn and lived for 7 years. Then I discovered that I didn't need the pennies any more and all my fish were living for many years. Of course I had accidents and lost fish as I barely knew what I was doing and when you do things by trial and error, you will fail more then you win.

Blue devil eggs circa 1972

It took until the early 80s when I think I had it down to a science and stopped losing fish to communicable diseases.
Then much later the internet came out and everyone had an opinion. Thats when the problems started and no one any more experimented, they all asked for opinions. Opinions now are fine but to ask for opinions from people who started the hobby last Tuesday and have kept one damsel for a couple of weeks on life support was not a good idea.

I wrote a few articles in the paper magazines then and like now, people would ask me questions.
(remember, even in those days I still had the oldest tank around) ;)

I would say to feed live worms and clams etc. People would write back and say: Oh thats great, I can't get that so I will feed corn flakes is that OK?..

And thats the way it has always gone.

But getting back to your question of a small tank. For many years I kept a 5 gallon salt tank using NSW and rocks from New York water. Much of it was asphalt, cinder blocks and bricks,

I hatched out these octopus in a small tank.

And kept cool creatures. Most of which I collected in the sea

This was my tank I think in the 80s

Those small 5 gallon tanks using bricks,NSW and local creatures never crashed or had any disease problems. Not once. Don't tell some of the people on here because it would be an argument as they can't grasp having healthy fish by using parasites to control parasites.

Of course none of those people can show their still running tanks from when the hobby started.
Remember us Geezers invented quarantine, copper and medications, that is not a modern thing from the internet. It was because we were un informed and didn't realize that the fish could stay healthy if we stayed out of their way and dealt with diseases the way they have been for millions of years.

Paulie what Temperature do you keep your tank at? Do you even use a heater?

Mickey, I am glad you told me that because right after I get the shot I was going to go to the Mall and try to kiss all the good looking sales girls. The ones with fevers. Until they shoot me of course. :biggrin:

I got scheduled for the Covid shot because I am a Geezer. :cool:
Age sometimes has it's privileges, besides the experience thing. ;)
Another benefit of aging is you don't have to spend money for haircuts and you don't remember who you don't like or why you don't like them.

Friends get better because you know them so long they are more than family as you went through so many ups and downs together.

As you know I have been married to my "starter" wife for 47 years. We were always very close but now as we aged together for so many years we are even closer and love each other even more than when we got married. We depend on each other and also as you know, she has MS so now I help her put on her shoes, clean, cook, make the beds etc. I love doing things for her.

She can still get around and now uses a walker but she falls and drops many things. If you are lucky enough to be married to your soul mate, every day is a pleasure even though age has it's pitfalls. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have someone like my wife to go through this journey with.

I do worry that I am 6 years older then her and if I croak, she may meet a young stud and forget all about me and become a biker Chick. :oops:

don't let your wife catch you kidding those sales girls, she might run you over with that utility vehicle.