• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paulie, with all that OT you should be rolling in it :p
I had to start at low rate for first 45 days then get big increase after That’s y I’m doing so many hours to make a decent check in the end but no matter how many hours I put in at the end it doesn’t equal one day fishing. Last pay period I jab 134 hrs, everything is overtime after 80 hrs (2 week pay period) and they just give you stright pay but in cash, after my probationary period I get lg increase and time n half overtime. Until then I gotta put in the hours

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning like most mornings I got out of bed at 5:15, got dressed to go out for a walk and immediately got a flashback from Nam because there is a monsoon outside. In Nam I had no choice and had to live in it but here I have a nice warm house so I decided not to walk today.

I decided to bake muffins like I often do for a few reasons. I like them, my wife likes them and I can't go out so what else an I going to do at 4:15?

As I am waiting for them to bake I was thinking of all the times I do walk in the morning and all the deer I see so early. These things are all over the place. I wish purple tangs were so common.

Most people here think of the deer as a big problem because they don't look both ways when they cross streets and don't make good hood ornaments.

I am quite sure the deer think of us as pests but I am guessing as although I can read the mind of a copperband butterfly, deer minds confuse me and I don't get much incite from what they are thinking. Looking into the black eyes of a deer is like looking into the eyes of a flounder. Not much going on.

They did put "Deer Crossing" signs all over the place but many times the deer ignore those signs and cross the streets in other places.

DeerCrossingSign.jpg

Over the years there have been plans on how to limit the numbers of deer but with 4 or 5 million people with opinions, nothing gets done. It's like fish forums, everyone has an opinion and the outcome is almost always to change the water.

At one time the government hired hunters to cull the population. Of course that is only a temporary solution and people cried out about the cruelty.
I myself don't shoot deer or even deer ticks and also don't like that idea. I don't eat deer meat but I do eat hamburgers which are humanly grown in a supermarket

Even if they killed 100 deer, there are tens of thousands of them and more of them get hit by cars than that every month.

There was a plan to feed the deer birth control pills. They would drop bales of food by helicopter laced with birth control pills.
That didn't work because the way a deers hoofs are built, they have a hard time getting the pills out of those little round plastic containers they come in and the deer never knew what day it was so even if they could pry the pills out, the dosage was off.

Also the bucks, or male deer were eating them and it started to make them grow long eyelashes and many people would complain that when they were watching Oprah, the deer would look at the TV through their window instead of running after females like bucks are supposed to do.

There is an Island here called Shelter Island and a lot of wealthy people lived there. Many of them got rich from whaling. (They killed all the whales then started to kill other things but that is for another useless thread.) Anyway they wanted to grow gardens and they couldn't because the deer would eat everything, so the residents came up with a plan.

The Island isn't that big so they hired these people to come to the Island with huge fishing nets. They got a few hundred people and started walking the nets through the Island trying to force the deer all to one side where they would have a barge waiting. The idea was to herd the deer onto the barge and let them go on the mainland. (Originally they were going to shoot them but the people started protesting. They figured it was much more humane to pry the poor animals from the grill of a 1929 Oldsmobile )

At first it looked like it was working and almost all the deer were in the nets going on to the barge. Thats when the Island occupants learned that deer could jump six feet and swim like Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan)

There were Deer swimming all around the Island and the Coast Guard had to be called to chase the deer out of the water because now they were a hazard to navigation. Inadvertently, all the deer ended up back on the Island and now, after swimming all day they were hungry so the little vegetation that was still on the Island was quickly devoured by the deer.

Now the Island residents were here.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My husband sits in a tree stand with his bows to shoot deer. I have two chest freezers full of meat. I cook it for him and he loves it. The kids will only eat the Italian or Cajun sausage. I don't touch it because I feel bad for them being killed.

When I had gone to Portugal and Italy when I was a kid, I spent my time with family in the country side. While there I experienced my first animal slaughters. The first one was while I was on a walk along the coast. There was a rock mortared ramp to the sea. I had played on the ramp so many times. But this day I saw two individuals and a cow there. I thought how odd that someone would walk their cow to see the ocean. As I approached one of the men was hold a knife, he took it to the belly of the cow and slit it open. For the next three months in Europe I didn't eat meat. Two weeks after this horrifying sight I went to visit my aunt. She asked if I would like to have chicken for dinner. I was very pleased that chicken was on the menu for dinner. As kids you spent all day outside. She came out later that day and I walked over to her and we chatted for a good 30 minutes. At the beginning of the chat she had picked up one of her chickens and was petting it as we talked. At the end of the conversation she walked a few feet from me and picked up an object. It was a knife! She bent down to the brick raised edge of the walkway and cut off the chicken's head. The head laid on the ground and she let go of the chicken. The chicken ran off! There was no way I was eating chicken. I remember tell my mom when we were at the airport on our way back to the states that I couldn't wait to have a burger from Burger King. Up to this day I can not eat something I saw that was live.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Diana,
I myself have no problem hunting deer or anything else you are going to eat. I just don't hunt. My family used to keep pigeons and my uncle would go up in the coup and wring some of their necks for lunch. As a city kid, I didn't like that or eat pigeons.

After Viet Nam I fired enough guns and they hold no fascination for me. I remember the first week I got to Nam. I was stationed in the middle of the jungle in a big clearing surrounded by large bamboo and trees and I had all the ammunition I wanted to shoot. Like literally tons.

After I got tired of shooting my M-16, 45s, M-60 machine gun, grenade launcher, fifty caliper machine gun, mini gun and Howitzer that I fired at trees, I lost my interest unless of course we were getting attacked. :p

It was fun at first, then when that was the only thing to do, I got bored.

I remember once we saw a big deer about 100 yards away. Many of the guys were hunters and wanted fresh meat because we ate mostly C Rations that were put in the can before I was born.

They let off a five minute barrage of probably 100 rounds. The deer walked away most likely laughing.

I don't know what happened but no one hit it. I said, maybe we should use the Howitzer. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, those were some tough guys and a couple of days later we got hit by 400 NVA and one of those guys was awarded the Medal Of Honor so I know they could shoot.:cool:

We did once accidently kill a tiger and another group of guys accidentally killed an elephant. :confused:
Poor things got involved in a war they didn't want to get involved in but there was so many bullets flying around that country you never know what you were hitting.

I did kill two snakes. One large cobra and one very large python who wanted to sleep in the same hole as I did and I won. ;)

We also had very large bugs there. I once found a scorpion who also wanted to sleep with me. Someone said to step on it. Our boots were good but this thing was the size of a lobster. I shot it with my 45 and just wounded it and made it mad. Then I killed it with my M-16.

I think he wanted to carry me home to feed his kids and he would have except his antlers would have gotten stuck between two trees. o_O

Oh and I have eaten deer meat, I am not crazy about it. That python tasted better. :p

This morning like most mornings I got out of bed at 5:15, got dressed to go out for a walk and immediately got a flashback from Nam because there is a monsoon outside. In Nam I had no choice and had to live in it but here I have a nice warm house so I decided not to walk today.

I decided to bake muffins like I often do for a few reasons. I like them, my wife likes them and I can't go out so what else an I going to do at 4:15?

As I am waiting for them to bake I was thinking of all the times I do walk in the morning and all the deer I see so early. These things are all over the place. I wish purple tangs were so common.

Most people here think of the deer as a big problem because they don't look both ways when they cross streets and don't make good hood ornaments.

I am quite sure the deer think of us as pests but I am guessing as although I can read the mind of a copperband butterfly, deer minds confuse me and I don't get much incite from what they are thinking. Looking into the black eyes of a deer is like looking into the eyes of a flounder. Not much going on.

They did put "Deer Crossing" signs all over the place but many times the deer ignore those signs and cross the streets in other places.

View attachment 32880

Over the years there have been plans on how to limit the numbers of deer but with 4 or 5 million people with opinions, nothing gets done. It's like fish forums, everyone has an opinion and the outcome is almost always to change the water.

At one time the government hired hunters to cull the population. Of course that is only a temporary solution and people cried out about the cruelty.
I myself don't shoot deer or even deer ticks and also don't like that idea. I don't eat deer meat but I do eat hamburgers which are humanly grown in a supermarket

Even if they killed 100 deer, there are tens of thousands of them and more of them get hit by cars than that every month.

There was a plan to feed the deer birth control pills. They would drop bales of food by helicopter laced with birth control pills.
That didn't work because the way a deers hoofs are built, they have a hard time getting the pills out of those little round plastic containers they come in and the deer never knew what day it was so even if they could pry the pills out, the dosage was off.

Also the bucks, or male deer were eating them and it started to make them grow long eyelashes and many people would complain that when they were watching Oprah, the deer would look at the TV through their window instead of running after females like bucks are supposed to do.

There is an Island here called Shelter Island and a lot of wealthy people lived there. Many of them got rich from whaling. (They killed all the whales then started to kill other things but that is for another useless thread.) Anyway they wanted to grow gardens and they couldn't because the deer would eat everything, so the residents came up with a plan.

The Island isn't that big so they hired these people to come to the Island with huge fishing nets. They got a few hundred people and started walking the nets through the Island trying to force the deer all to one side where they would have a barge waiting. The idea was to herd the deer onto the barge and let them go on the mainland. (Originally they were going to shoot them but the people started protesting. They figured it was much more humane to pry the poor animals from the grill of a 1929 Oldsmobile )

At first it looked like it was working and almost all the deer were in the nets going on to the barge. Thats when the Island occupants learned that deer could jump six feet and swim like Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan)

There were Deer swimming all around the Island and the Coast Guard had to be called to chase the deer out of the water because now they were a hazard to navigation. Inadvertently, all the deer ended up back on the Island and now, after swimming all day they were hungry so the little vegetation that was still on the Island was quickly devoured by the deer.

Now the Island residents were here.

one of my neighbors found a deer yesterday. it was under his dock. I guess NJ deer didn't get the memo that deers know how to swim, pretty sure Florida deer did get that memo though. or maybe he was diving for corals and forgot to come up for air. anyway my neighbor was kind of pissed off cause this deer was blocking his boat. he called the Marine police but they never showed up. turns out the deer left on its own. must have decided to look for corals somewhere else.

FB_IMG_1606214404960.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning like most mornings I walked a couple of miles, but today I wanted to do a double walk to work off the Thanksgiving dinner. So a half hour before sunrise I started my walk. I went south the way I normally go because at the end of the road I can catch the sunrise
Sunrise.jpg

I stood there a while to watch then I started back. At this time my knees began to hurt, but not to bad. As I walked I came across a dead rabbit who obviously got run over by a car. Probably a Subaru or garbage truck because it didn't look like those paddles would have brought this poor creature back to life.

Then I came across an earthworm. I don't know why he felt the need to cross the street but I am very observant and wonder about such things. It's what makes my mundane walks interesting. I mean, think about it. You are a worm and have this huge golf course to spend your life in. Then one day you decide you are bored and want to brave traffic and go to the other side of the street which is just a defunct farm. I don't get it.

Anyway, as I walked almost back to my house I figured it was such a nice day I would keep going to the place where I normally take my other route.
It's north towards the sea past small summer bungalow's that are not used this time of the year.
Walk to beach.jpg

As I got closer to the beach I noticed how quiet it was. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. To test this, I brought a bunch of pins with me and started dropping them. To my surprise, I couldn't hear any of them drop. I figured maybe it wasn't as quiet as i thought it was until I realized I was walking in the grass. :oops:

I keep going and it is a gradual hill that eventually makes it's way to the beach

Oakley beach.jpg

The sea was very calm and it would be a great day to collect water because it seems I always go in a typhoon. :rolleyes:

I have been walking about 45 minutes and started walking back up the hill to my house. I have one new knee that doesn't work to well as I think instead of titanium they used a ball joint from a 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Crusier. That was a station wagon and pretty large. I know because I was an Oldsmobile mechanic in 1969 and those ball joints were big.

That knee hurts but my other knee is worse and feels like broken acropora frags. It also makes noise like that and seems to drown out the sounds of pins dropping.

A few days ago as I was walking here seven deer ran out in front of me and kind of scared me because they had a mean look on their face. Luckily, for protection I carry an aluminum walking stick with a rubber tip on it.

If one of those deer tried to attack me I would have stuck the thing in his ear while using harsh language on him. Deer hate that because sometimes that rubber tip gets lodged in their ear and they can't hear those pins dropping. :p

I got to about 300 yards from my house and my "good" knee started to give out. It stiffened up and didn't want to bend and I knew it was swelling up. If I was a Sissy Girly Man I may have called 911 to get the paramedics to come and give me a ride home. I figured maybe one of the paramedics would be a Supermodel and would have taken pity on me. Then I thought maybe the EMTs would have looked like Otis the town drunk and if I fainted he would want to perform mouth to mouth on me. Maybe pound on my chest.

So I just walked home without bending that leg and all ended well. :)