• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Church Ladies With Computers....

They're Back!
Those wonderful Church Bulletins! Thank God for church ladies with computers. These sentences (with all the BLOOPERS) actually appeared in church bulletins or were announced in church services:
--------------------------
The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.
The sermon this morning: Jesus Walks on the Water.
The sermon tonight: Searching for Jesus.
Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.
Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our community. Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say 'Hell' to someone who doesn't care much about you .
Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again,' giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs .
Next Thursday there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.
Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.
A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility..
Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM - prayer and medication to follow.
The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind. They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.
This evening at 7 PM there will be a hymn singing in the park across from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.
Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM . All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B. S. is done.
The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the Congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday.
Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the back door.
The eighth-graders will be presenting Shakespeare's Hamlet in the Church basement Friday at 7 PM. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.
Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church.
Please use large double door at the side entrance.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I found this FTS of my tank from about 10 years ago. This is one of those "Pan" pictures where you move the camera across the tank and it puts the pictures together

Composite FTS.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member

• Jul 6, 2015
    (Yes this was an old post. What can I say? I ran out of things to say)
I don't have the nicest tank on here.
I don't have the nicest of a lot of things, but I don't care because they are nice enough for me.
I don't have the most difficult corals on here, but it is not my purpose to have that.
I don't have the most interesting fish on here, but they are interesting enough for me.
I have no ideas what my parameters are. I assume my corals know and they seem fine.
I don't have any controllers or dosers. Don't want any.
I don't have any test kits. If I want something tested, I take It to a LFS. They like doing that.
I don't have the largest tank on here. It's a perfect size for me.
My lights are way underpowered. I don't care and so far, neither do the corals.
I don't have a sump. I would, but they were not invented in the 70s
I don't use any reactors, GFO, GAC, ABC, Doh Ray Me, or bio pellets.
I don't use Rowafas.
Don't have a DSB, SSB, or BB.
I don't use Purple Up, Marine Snow or almost anything else and I don't want to.
I have to many fish, they don't seem to mind the crowd.
I have to many Pod eaters, they send out for Pizza.
I am jealous of some tanks on here, but I will get over it.
I don't have the most hair and I am far from the best looking on here. My wife likes me.
I don't change much water, but I assume I change enough.
I have plenty of iron and stainless steel in my tank. Is that scary to anyone?
I sometimes feed my fish Plaster of Paris with some minerals mixed in. Am I bad?
I used copper for years in my tank and never changed the rocks or gravel.
I have never dated a Supermodel but I did date some beautiful girls. Also some plainer ones.
I use dolomite for the substrate, ever heard of that?
My wiring is probably some of the sloppiest on here. And I am an electrician.
I am impressed by some of the skill on here with spawning hard fish.
I am impressed by creativity, but not by degrees unless they are on a thermometer.
Right now I am embarrassed to say I have a fever, which is a Sissy disease and I may have to revoke my Man card. Fevers are so yesterday and Sissy Mary like. Maybe I am hallucinating which is why I wrote this useless thread.
I am finished, and I am old, There is no purpose to this post that I know of. :unsure:

Its a hobby, enjoy it for yourself, no one else

As another older reef keeper, I have a few observations I'd like to add.

Over the years I've had some rare or unusual livestock. Outside of a forum like this or the occasional other reef keeper that sees my tank in person, few have little idea about anything you have in your tank and are just as impressed by comparatively inexpensive livestock.

I though saltwater reef systems were expensive, until I looked at what some people were spending on freshwater planted nature aquariums. Substrata and some of the special decorative rocks used can sometimes make live sand and live rock look cheep. Only lighting is a lot less expensive for planted freshwater system.

Nowadays I don't want any fish in the tank that can get me, so no lionfish, or stonefish, or fish with powerful jaws.

In just about every tank I see, there is equipment or livestock that is a lot nicer than mine, and often equipment or livestock I'm never consider using or having.

In my youth, I always wanted that larger tank. Nowadays I'm content with what I have. I'm getting too old to take care of something a lot larger.

Lastly, I dread the day when I'm no longer going to be able to keep aquariums and will have to give it up. I had a lot of fun in the hobby for more years than I like to think about, and I'm going to really miss it.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just collected 25 gallons of NSW. I will add 25 gallons of ASW and do a 50 gallon water change. I think I still have some sponge toxins in there because my corals are not opening all the way.

This is my friend who helped me because he has 2 working arms and I don't right now.
IMG_1535.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
Normally I throw a bilge pump in the sea. But it's much faster like this. Also when I do that I get way more seaweed and sand because the pump sits on the bottom. I still get a lot of seaweed as you can see on the beach, but it is easy to filter it out. It is dirty and brown no matter how I collect it.

After I clean it, it disappears. It's freshly collected here
New NSW.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been a little busy changing 50 gallons of water. I collected it and filtered it and now I am heating it. I fill 5 gallon thin plastic jugs with hot water and float them in my vats. In 30 minutes they are all heated. I test the salinity and change it. :)

All this using only one hand remember. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think I am using up all the titanium in the hospitals here. :oops:

I try not to use that arm, because I am not supposed to. But my wife isn't doing to well and things need to be done so I do what I can.

Paul B

NJRC Member
.you don't want to know what country the titanium came from! And the hint is, it's not USA. :confusion:
I know. As a matter of fact, I strongly told my surgeon I only wanted an American joint. And if it is not, don't tell me because I will never like that shoulder and won't look at it. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I haven't seen this fish since I put it in my tank April 8th. I just found him today happy and healthy in the back of the tank behind the UG filter tubes. I guess he lives there and I will never see him out in the open. I have a few fish like that.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Pretty good for an old guy. :biggrin: Shoulder is coming along and pretty soon I will get back to bungee jumping and hang gliding. :)

I go back to the guy in a month and he will tell me if I need PT or not. I am going to tell him I don't need it because thats for Sissies and I really don't want to waste my time. It's great for people that sit around all day going Doot Da Doot--Doot Da doot. But I rarely do that. :cool: