• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
She is an executive and works 7 days a week although I don't know why anyone would have such a job. But whenever she can get 2 days off, she will come here. :)

Wow Paul, she sure sounds like she's doing a whole bunch of "Doot Da Doo- Doot Da Doo." As a matter of fact, so much "Doot Da Doo- Doot Da Doo" that I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she also ends up with back issues. That much Doot Da Doo- Doot Da Doo can be dangerous. :oo:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Nice view of the back of my tank and my impeccable electrical work. :oops:

That orange bucket has a DIY leak detector for my DIY skimmer (not likely) There is a "probe" in the bucket connected to the GFCI outlet so if it gets wet, it turns off the power to the pump that feeds the skimmer. I use that method anywhere I feel there may be a leak and shutting off power will "fix" the problem. Very simple (if illegal but who cares) I normally use that system on my hot water heater, it turns off an electric valve that feeds the boiler if it detects water under it.

Back of tank.jpeg

Paul B

NJRC Member
A film crew from Long Island News 12 is coming here on February 17th to film the meeting of me and Cathleen. I don't know when it will air yet. :cool:

Maybe they will want to make a movie. Brad Pitt can play me and Scarlet Johansen can play Cathleen the girl who sent me the Christmas card in Vietnam

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
So this year I am changing the way I donate the money from my book to the MS society. I used to wait until I got $500.00, then I would donate that. But I can't figure out Amazons web site so I will just wait until the end of the year when they send me the W2 form for my taxes.

I just got it and the book made $640.00 this year after I donated that first $500.00 so that is what I will donate. I will post the receipt when they send it to me.
I want people to know I am not keeping any of it.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Maybe I should read it again. I forgot what I wrote :p

The first printing was in color but I understand the new ones with the picture of the copperband on the cover is black and white. I don't know why because I asked for color and I don't know how to change it. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
OOOOoohhhhhhNNNNNNooooooo.......I was "playing" behind my reef tank putting a 5 gallon office water cooler bottle (empty) on a shelf. It fell off into my 5' skimmer. Instant flood. OMG, I thought the skimmer broke as water was spurting out really fast.

It is the DIY acrylic chamber that is connected to the skimmer and sets the height of the water in the skimmer.
I built it a few years ago from 1/4" Plexiglas but I didn't build it strong enough to have a 5 gallon bucket bang into it from a height.

The seam on the side of the thing opened up. I had to remove it and now I am waiting for the acrylic solvent to set.
It also feeds water to my reverse undergravel filter and algae scrubber so those things will be off line today.

Skimmer attachment.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
It has an adjustable "bulkhead" inside that can be raised or lowered and being it is on the outflow of the skimmer, the water in this device sets the height of the water in the skimmer.

I just need to wait for the acrylic solvent to dry.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I went to my favorite 50 year old LFS. When I got there he was running out to Home Depot. He had a flood. This place is so old and there is always so much water on the floor I am not sure how he knew he had a leak unless he saw a couple of lipstick tangs swimming between his feet. :oops:
It seems something clogged a return line (probably a lipstick or Naso tang) and the tanks overflowed. They overflowed on to a big water pump that looked like Columbus brought over as ballast on the Santa Maria, but it could have been the Nina.

He had a guy there repairing the thing. He said he was a pool guy and was just shopping in the store. I am glad he got there first or it would have been me sitting in the flood on the floor with all the tangs and hermit crabs.

AS I finished shopping, the guy plugged in the pump and it made a big spark, so I quickly left. :D He knows I am an electrician. :oops:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yesterday I went to my favorite 50 year old LFS. When I got there he was running out to Home Depot. He had a flood. This place is so old and there is always so much water on the floor I am not sure how he knew he had a leak unless he saw a couple of lipstick tangs swimming between his feet. :oops:
It seems something clogged a return line (probably a lipstick or Naso tang) and the tanks overflowed. They overflowed on to a big water pump that looked like Columbus brought over as ballast on the Santa Maria, but it could have been the Nina.

He had a guy there repairing the thing. He said he was a pool guy and was just shopping in the store. I am glad he got there first or it would have been me sitting in the flood on the floor with all the tangs and hermit crabs.

AS I finished shopping, the guy plugged in the pump and it made a big spark, so I quickly left. :D He knows I am an electrician.
Are you sure the spark wasn't from an Electric Eel :friendly_wink:

Paul B

NJRC Member
We are having a bunch of company for dinner tonight so I have been cooking and baking all day. I am making Manhattan clam chowder for the people who like (and asked) for that.

The other couple don't eat sea food, (must be Communists) so we are making them meatloaf. I also baked 2 loaves of rosemary olive oil bread Italian bread and made Bruschetta which will go on this bread after I slightly toast it.

For a side on the meatloaf I am making Rosemary, lemon potatoes. :D

Rice pudding for dessert

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
We are having a bunch of company for dinner tonight so I have been cooking and baking all day. I am making Manhattan clam chowder for the people who like (and asked) for that.

The other couple don't eat sea food, (must be Communists) so we are making them meatloaf. I also baked 2 loaves of rosemary olive oil bread Italian bread and made Bruschetta which will go on this bread after I slightly toast it.

For a side on the meatloaf I am making Rosemary, lemon potatoes. :D

Rice pudding for dessert
What time is dinner?

Yesterday I went to my favorite 50 year old LFS. ....
This got me thinking. I don't thing there are any 50 yr old LFS in my area anymore. We did have a few, but they are long gone. There are still a few in your neck of the woods, but they seem to be getting rare. Between the large chain stores and online shopping, most LFS have been takeing a beating and have closed. Those old stores often had some interesting stuff, but most of it was FW. I think a lot of them tried SW "way back them" and had a lot of issues and gave up. It's due to the people that didnt' give up way back when that we can keep a lot of SW fish and livestock today. The methods I use today for my FW and SW tanks is much different from what I was doing 50 years ago.

We do have a few that are maybe 15 - 20 years old that are good, I've not been to any for awhile, but I need to do some restocking of my tanks.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been going to this guy for 50 years. He is my age and does get interesting stuff, most of it he sells for practically free. I hope he never goes out of business. I don't think I would pay $80.00 for Hippo tangs and Copperbands. He sells them for$25.00 or $30.00

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have been going to this guy for 50 years. He is my age and does get interesting stuff, most of it he sells for practically free. I hope he never goes out of business. I don't think I would pay $80.00 for Hippo tangs and Copperbands. He sells them for$25.00 or $30.00
Paul
Where is this shop? I'd like to see if I can find a naso tang at a reasonable price,shops around me want $200+ for a 4-5"

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
One to two inch Hippo tangs are over $100 by me.