• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Clarity

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I was at Reefco this past weekend for my second time, and I can't get over how crystal clear the tanks are. I am wondering what I can do to match that level of clarity. I run a small UV sterilizer in my 30 AIO tank and I am wondering if that really is doing anything.. my frag tank doesn't have a sterilizer and is the same clarity if not more. I run chemi pure blue on the AIO system and I was wondering if I should add a carbon reactor which my frag tank currently has.

Is there anything else that helps?

Maybe a better HOB sterilizer & a carbon reactor?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was at Reefco this past weekend for my second time, and I can't get over how crystal clear the tanks are. I am wondering what I can do to match that level of clarity. I run a small UV sterilizer in my 30 AIO tank and I am wondering if that really is doing anything.. my frag tank doesn't have a sterilizer and is the same clarity if not more. I run chemi pure blue on the AIO system and I was wondering if I should add a carbon reactor which my frag tank currently has.

Is there anything else that helps?

Maybe a better HOB sterilizer & a carbon reactor?

It’s not fair to compare your tank to reefco.
They have staff that clean the tanks everyday.
They also have a lot of volume. The more water volume you have the better water quality.
They clean the glass and frag tanks every day.
He also has a army of snails cleaning the frag racks and floor.
They use fritz salt and they do a lot of huge water changes.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
It’s not fair to compare your tank to reefco.
They have staff that clean the tanks everyday.
They also have a lot of volume. The more water volume you have the better water quality.
They clean the glass and frag tanks every day.
He also has a army of snails cleaning the frag racks and floor.
They use fritz salt and they do a lot of huge water changes.

For sure more volume helps, but I should be able to get pretty close if I have the right equipment, I am thinking of smacking a carbon reactor. Maybe I will add some more snails as well.

uv and carbon definitely clears up water. are you cleaning your uv sleeve regularly and also replacing the bulb? change carbon like every 2 weeks. the other thing is using a water polisher. i have a diy water polisher on my 29, the water is crystal but im changing out the filter floss on the water polisher every day or two. a sock would also work but have to change like every day or two

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
uv and carbon definitely clears up water. are you cleaning your uv sleeve regularly and also replacing the bulb? change carbon like every 2 weeks. the other thing is using a water polisher. i have a diy water polisher on my 29, the water is crystal but im changing out the filter floss on the water polisher every day or two. a sock would also work but have to change like every day or two
I was under the impression to change carbon like every 4 months? I have never cleaned my UV sterilizer, it's about a year old, I guess it's time to replace bulb and clean. I want to start with carbon reactor, just need to find a sale on BRS or a used one.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was under the impression to change carbon like every 4 months? I have never cleaned my UV sterilizer, it's about a year old, I guess it's time to replace bulb and clean. I want to start with carbon reactor, just need to find a sale on BRS or a used one.

Carbon last about 15 days and should be changed at least every month. UV bulbs should be replaced every 6 months

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Carbon, oxydator, ozone. Any of them can get you crystal clear water. I use small amounts of carbon changed frequently and an oxydator.
I will work through changing carbon more frequently as per everyone's recommendations.

Also my uv sterilizer is the IM model. I don't know of one I can fit on my AIO 30 gallon other than this

I was using the jbzap nano uv on my 29 for a bit but I've got copepods in there now and shut it off. now I'm running a make shift refugium in one of the rear Chambers and water is pretty clear and my nutrients dropped to near zero. I'm using 3 submersible light bars with a ball of chaeto shoved back there. I have display light all blue and refugium running pink red so most 90% of the algae is growing back there now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-072343_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-072343_eBay.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 2

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I'm hesitant to start a fuge. Unless I continue to feed at excessive rates. My nitrates are 25-50 but I'm worried a fuge may strip my phosphate. Debating more frequent water changes too

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'm hesitant to start a fuge. Unless I continue to feed at excessive rates. My nitrates are 25-50 but I'm worried a fuge may strip my phosphate. Debating more frequent water changes too
With a tank of your size I would go with a algae reactor.
Not a fuge. It’s smaller and it’s easier to maintain and clean.
It’s also very easy for you to set a time for it to be on or
Off. You can also control the flow that’s going to the reactor.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
they probably use huge socks, carbon, UV. I'm sure if you ask they will tell you. also don't forget sometimes lights make a difference on viewing.