• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Clarity

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Already have that running.

I'm adding purigen to see if it helps while I wait for a carbon reactor to go on sale or show up for sale on here

The only thing I don’t like about purigen is using a bag instead of a reactor. I started thinking about it, using a small DI cartridge like what aquatic life uses for their smaller systems. low flow with the fine mesh should hold the purigen inside. I would imagine it would clog quickly on the inlet, so maybe a larger sponge as a prefileter?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
The only thing I don’t like about purigen is using a bag instead of a reactor. I started thinking about it, using a small DI cartridge like what aquatic life uses for their smaller systems. low flow with the fine mesh should hold the purigen inside. I would imagine it would clog quickly on the inlet, so maybe a larger sponge as a prefileter?

Otherwise a media bag in a high flow compartment will work. Don’t pack it tight, move it around in the bag every week or so to make sure it’s all getting contact, and clean it per instructions when it turns brown.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Otherwise a media bag in a high flow compartment will work. Don’t pack it tight, move it around in the bag every week or so to make sure it’s all getting contact, and clean it per instructions when it turns brown.
I'll have it in my media caddy that fits in first chamber of IM 30 AIO.

It arrived today.. eagerly awaiting my arrival home from work...

Just make sure you rinse it. Excited to see if it works in another tank as well as it did mine. Works well for freshwater too. A friend of mine turned me on to it that does fresh water.

D

Deleted member 27248

Fuge/algae reactor doesnt deal with phosphate so well, least not from my experience. What PO4 levels do you have atm?
I have to disagree. My tank goes to 0.0 nitrate and 0.0 phosphate in 2-3 weeks. I dose and feed heavy to Maintain 20-25ppm and .1-.2 phosphate. Refugium 16hours, mostly opposite of tank schedule.