• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Move

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Does anyone know of a company that will move a tank? I need to move a 400-gallon tank down to my basement and set it up. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Does anyone know of a company that will move a tank? I need to move a 400-gallon tank down to my basement and set it up. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
I'll send you the info for the guys who brought down my tank.

how long n wide is tank also what is space like getting into your basement, tight or enough space,, don’t waste money on moving people to do it I’ll help do it only need 2 other people on other end,, hit me up

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Point Pleasant, NJ

how long n wide is tank also what is space like getting into your basement, tight or enough space,, don’t waste money on moving people to do it I’ll help do it only need 2 other people on other end,, hit me up
Paulie - you are the man! It is 8feetx42inches widex25 inches tall. I got to get get it in my house and down the stairs[will have to remove part of wall upstairs ahead of time-wife not happy lol]. Just so afraid of ruining it since it is being custom built. Once down the stairs, I will have plenty of room to maneuver. I have several guys that could help, but nervous about it.

Any expertise in plumbing?
Thanks for your reply man-I appreciate it.

Paulie - you are the man! It is 8feetx42inches widex25 inches tall. I got to get get it in my house and down the stairs[will have to remove part of wall upstairs ahead of time-wife not happy lol]. Just so afraid of ruining it since it is being custom built. Once down the stairs, I will have plenty of room to maneuver. I have several guys that could help, but nervous about it.

Any expertise in plumbing?
Thanks for your reply man-I appreciate it.
Glass or acrylic how thick , how heavy you think it is,, just can’t see wasting money on movers so close to Xmas,, enough of us here on site and close by always willing to help you out,, JUST ASK
RAOK is contagious like Corona

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Paulie - It is 3/4 inch glass and I imagine it weighs around 600 pounds right? The move wouldn't happen until mid-January as that's when the tank should be done.

What's RAOK?

So with those numbers we need me on one end, end going down stairs first, and 3-4 of you on other end,, no worries I’ll bring my two buddies ( 19.5 inch arms 58 chest) lol so full of myself

Attachments

• 4957FCED-6172-4704-810D-D28ACA38236E.jpeg
    4957FCED-6172-4704-810D-D28ACA38236E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

erics210

NJRC Member
It can be done with 4, Stairs make it tight. You just want those 4 to be strong guys.
I am 5-9ish and getting older. Sump-n-Fishy helped me move a tank last November. He is a tall guy but strong.
It was a Red Sea Max s-500. Just the tank weighs 608 pounds COMPLETELY empty.
We navigated that bad boy from a 3rd Floor Apartment in Paterson, with the 3 circulation pumps in place, some straggler sand and debris and once we got it outside, even about 2-3 gallons of water. I was on the bottom as I was NOT! gonna let that tank fall. Scratched my stomach on the one corner when almost down the final steps and turn. BUT KEPT going!
THATS the kinda help you need!
Someone who WONT LET GO!!! Picture to stress importance of NOT LETTING GO!

Thanks again Mike!

Should have had pictures of that move. Once on my truck the rest was easy, I have a single step to manage to my fishroom.
I did help him pick up his awesome acrylic 110 gallon peninsula shortly after, which was much easier...lol

1607122057235.png

It can be done with 4, Stairs make it tight. You just want those 4 to be strong guys.
I am 5-9ish and getting older. Sump-n-Fishy helped me move a tank last November. He is a tall guy but strong.
It was a Red Sea Max s-500. Just the tank weighs 608 pounds COMPLETELY empty.
We navigated that bad boy from a 3rd Floor Apartment in Paterson, with the 3 circulation pumps in place, some straggler sand and debris and once we got it outside, even about 2-3 gallons of water. I was on the bottom as I was NOT! gonna let that tank fall. Scratched my stomach on the one corner when almost down the final steps and turn. BUT KEPT going!
THATS the kinda help you need!
Someone who WONT LET GO!!! Picture to stress importance of NOT LETTING GO!

Thanks again Mike!

Should have had pictures of that move. Once on my truck the rest was easy, I have a single step to manage to my fishroom.
I did help him pick up his awesome acrylic 110 gallon peninsula shortly after, which was much easier...lol

View attachment 33173
I pick things up and I put them down

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
suction cups are a MUST!!!! whoever is on the top of the stairs will definitely need suction cups to grasp on to. also, measure all doorways and walkways. my 6 foot tank was basically an inch clearance of the ceiling, and make sure to think about how to turn and maneuver. if you want, you can try making a wooden model with 1x2 wooden pieces and maneuver it to see how the best way to bring it in. this way, you will already know what to do when it comes time for the real deal.

suction cups are a MUST!!!! whoever is on the top of the stairs will definitely need suction cups to grasp on to. also, measure all doorways and walkways. my 6 foot tank was basically an inch clearance of the ceiling, and make sure to think about how to turn and maneuver. if you want, you can try making a wooden model with 1x2 wooden pieces and maneuver it to see how the best way to bring it in. this way, you will already know what to do when it comes time for the real deal.
Or just eat your weaties n do some push-ups

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You can call Dave and Allen at Reef Trends - they do great work.