• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Needs HELP!

The reef tank in the classroom seriously needs help.

For the past several days, I've come in and something has tripped the GFCI. Tuesday, I turned off one of the power strips, plugged essential things into the other (or at least what I think are essential), and plugged it back in and it stayed on. Today, both strips are tripping the GFCI.

I don't know what to do. Right now I have 3 airstones dropped into the tank to keep the water aerated for the fish. Since there are no hard corals, I unplugged the calcium reactor, the protein skimmer hasn't been working so I unplugged that, the auto topoff works half of the time, so that got unplugged... so it was just the heater, lights and pump that were running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
~Sharon

As summer approaches I'm sure my family will be at AA more often - can I stop downstairs to help check on the tank or do I need to send an email/call ahead to get clearance/approval/access?

Right now I don't have any firm dates I can come down - but it's always been something I have wanted to help with.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's a good point Phil. I guess Sharon lost all her other posts during the switch to the new forums. If you're still having these problems Sharon, please post back here if you can't PM.

The lights on that tank are T-5's so LED's isn't the issue. Good thought though.

Well, I got the lights back on after the tank being dark all weekend. I think it might be that the one power strip has gone bad, but IDK.

I'm here all week, if anyone wants to stop by. However, it's a busy class week, so it would have to be in the afternoon after 2. Wednesday I have a meeting at 2, so it would have to be after 3. Friday we have an overnight, so I'll be here all night if someone wants to come by later that night.

Thanks,
~Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sharon, what's the latest you will be there during the week? I work until 5:00 PM every day, but could be there by 5:30ish.

We had an officer's meeting last night and a few of us were planning on stopping up there to help get the tank back on track. Don (Tazmaniancowboy) will be contacting you about what needs to be done.

If I don't hear back from you here, (or from Don after talking to you) by tomorrow, I'll call you myself to set something up.

George, Friday I will be sleeping over, so that would probably be the best night for you to come up. If you can't make Friday, I can see if I can stay late another day (I'm usually gone by 5). Let me know.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm supposed to pick my son up from school on Friday, but I'll see if I can make other arrangements for that. Let me talk to Tony and Terri (adesimone1) and see if that works.

We'll get back to you ASAP.

My Deep Blue Solar Extreme fixture doesnt like GFI's.

I installed a GFI and whenever the second set of lights would come on it would trip every time. Needless to say I had to remove the GFI and installl a surge protector instead.

Doesn't the solar extreme have a gfi on the plug?

Yes they do,

I installed my GFCI when I was first setting up the tank, before I even bought the lights. :)

It can be any number of thing. Right now it seems the only common piece of equipment is the GFI outlet itself since it was stated that both strips are tripping.

We are good for Friday evening. We'll get the tank up and running to it's former glory.

That would be wonderful!

Please let me know who's coming so I can let Security know. You can park behind the security gate (but you might need to be creative with your parking spot!)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm in for Friday night too. I've been to the back entrance with Mike before so I know where to go. Yea we may need to get creative on finding a place to park. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk