• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Test kits

Hey guys, I need to replace some of my test kits and was wondering what everyone was using. I've been using Salifert for years, but watching some of the BRS videos, it seems like Red Sea also make some good ones (accuracy and ease of use, and of course, $$ ) . Whats your opinions on this. Looking for PH, Nitrate, Calcium, and Alk.

thanks, Salty

Hey guys, I need to replace some of my test kits and was wondering what everyone was using. I've been using Salifert for years, but watching some of the BRS videos, it seems like Red Sea also make some good ones (accuracy and ease of use, and of course, $$ ) . Whats your opinions on this. Looking for PH, Nitrate, Calcium, and Alk.

thanks, Salty

I did an analysis of both the Red Sea and Salifert kits for the Alk, Mg and Ca, comparing both cost and accuracy here:

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread...ef-Foundation-Pro-Test-Kit&highlight=salifert

and have been using their Nitrate test kit once my Salifert kit was used.

I did an analysis of both the Red Sea and Salifert kits for the Alk, Mg and Ca, comparing both cost and accuracy here:

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread...ef-Foundation-Pro-Test-Kit&highlight=salifert

and have been using their Nitrate test kit once my Salifert kit was used.

Awesome comparison!

I actually just bought the reef foundation kit for 35 + shipping :D, and am going to us it as a backup for my salifert until the salifert is used up. good to know that both are reasonable tests :D.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Because of that above analysis by Jim, I just purchased the Red Sea Pro Alk, Ca and Mg kit from the BRS’s group buy. I wasn’t believing my Salifert Calc number from recent testing (also realize the test kit is old)….from the numbers I was getting, I would have had a carbonate snowstorm in my tank.