• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The danger of NSW.

The beach is the skimmer of the world. This the worse water you can use.
When you see natural reef in the ocean they are 3hrs away from the beach. I have snorkel the Great Barrier Reef and it was a 3hr boat ride to the dive site. Even in the Caribbean you have 1hr -2hr boat ride to see a reef
Some reefs are located right off the beach.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What’s the science behind high tide collection and avoiding summer collection

What’s the science behind high tide collection and avoiding summer collection
The general idea behind avoiding collection after rainfall is that a lot of pollution does get washed into the waterways, probably oil, antifreeze and pesticides being the greatest. I'm originally from the Bronx and you know NYC has a large sewer system, that sewer does go through a treatment plant, but after moving out here to NJ 10+ years ago, it is a bit shocking to know that most of the sewers lead directly to local waterways like the bay or ocean. So you may want to definitely think twice if you live in a heavily populated area and your sewers run out to the local waterway.

Summer collection presents another challenge because there are just more people polluting the water on the beach, on the local waterways and in the rivers, bays and ocean with their boats. There is also a migration of people from the north or west causing a larger than normal environmental impact on shore areas, sometimes you will see beaches closed because of high levels of bacteria. The shallow waters inland are not able to handle the large bioload that these areas suffer in the summer months, I suspect it might be a different story that if the larger bioload were continuous. As is, throwing anything into the water is a big nonstarter around here. You aren't even supposed to toss fish carcasses or any food for that matter into the water.

Finally the high tide issue is simply thought to bring deeper waters closer inland, that will dilute any man made or natural pollutants. There are people who will collect water anywhere though, saltwater is denser than oil and many pollutants so simply gathering water well under the surface will eliminate the vast majority of pollutants in NSW. However, that does not apply to something like mentioned above where the pollutant is bacteria.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If your from the Bronx. Then you know my hesitation. lol.
Orchad beach is or I need to say.

I grew up in the Bronx. It was the spot. But after a few floatie objects I was resigned to watching from a distant.
Lol

Last edited:
I spent a lot of summer on Orchard Beach, we'd ride our bikes, take the bus, take the train, walk over there. Did you know it's called Orchard Beach because there were apple orchards that led all the way to the water? I know growing up we always considered the water in the East River to be pretty bad, now I see people riding jet skis out there. I believe there's been a big shift over the last 40 or 50 years away from those types of factories and industries that seriously pollute the waters. There a federal and state EPA and they pretty much have locked down those big polluting industries.

In fact, all those big factories on the water for the most part are all closed down and turned into lofts lol. The few that are left are highly regulated. I agree that there is absolutely a pollution issue but I don't know that it is as bad as people believe. You aren't going to turn green if you go swimming off the beach in the Bronx or here in NJ. My family and I catch fresh seafood in the local waters and it's fine. There is an abundance of wildlife everywhere here, I've got swans swimming up here everyday. There are geese ****ting all over my property. I look in the water and see all kinds of fish. I busted a NJ Wildlife Officer throwing clams the size of my two fist put together into my lagoon.

These observations lead me to believe that the water is fine. I think sometimes people forget that these fish and corals did come from the ocean and we do have the ocean in our backyard. If you wrap your mind around it, our ocean isn't turquoise blue because its polluted, it's the color of mud and sediment beneath it. If I take my boat out a few miles the water is pristine in every way shape and form.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Some reefs are located right off the beach.

I have never seen a reef right off the beach.

The only one I can recall is in St. John’s and that’s a man made protected.
State park.

Please name one natural reef on the beach. I don’t know if any.

I would imagine depending where you live/how easy it is to get NSW and what kinds of corals you are trying to grow, NSW might be a great way to go. I was looking around a bit to see some other tanks going with NSW and there are definitely some successful ones out there.

Collects from a dock.

Australian with NSW delivered. Though my quick look did not see how/where the NSW comes exactly. Presumably the kind of NSW water used here is the one we all try to match since they are in Australia.

I think guy was around LA when this tank was up. Says NSW but not exactly how collected.

Ongoing build collecting water 5 miles offshore in Tampa area. Just added corals recently.

I suppose an easy way to decide to use or not would be to test the water source and see if it will meet your tanks needs. Obviously also the effort/cost to collect this water probably plays a role. .

Mickey, it would be interesting to see how your tank would respond to a transition to ASW if you were willing to try lol. That would really be the only way to know if your NSW approach is just as good, better or worse than ASW. To go along with that, do you test the water you use? ALK, Ca, Mg, Nitrate, and phosphate? Ever try an ICP?

Personally I like making my own water. It adds security to my mind knowing that the water I start with is as clean as a TDS meter can read 0 and the salt going in is also free (one hopes) of any random contaminants.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I spent a lot of summer on Orchard Beach, we'd ride our bikes, take the bus, take the train, walk over there. Did you know it's called Orchard Beach because there were apple orchards that led all the way to the water? I know growing up we always considered the water in the East River to be pretty bad, now I see people riding jet skis out there. I believe there's been a big shift over the last 40 or 50 years away from those types of factories and industries that seriously pollute the waters. There a federal and state EPA and they pretty much have locked down those big polluting industries.

In fact, all those big factories on the water for the most part are all closed down and turned into lofts lol. The few that are left are highly regulated. I agree that there is absolutely a pollution issue but I don't know that it is as bad as people believe. You aren't going to turn green if you go swimming off the beach in the Bronx or here in NJ. My family and I catch fresh seafood in the local waters and it's fine. There is an abundance of wildlife everywhere here, I've got swans swimming up here everyday. There are geese ****ting all over my property. I look in the water and see all kinds of fish. I busted a NJ Wildlife Officer throwing clams the size of my two fist put together into my lagoon.

These observations lead me to believe that the water is fine. I think sometimes people forget that these fish and corals did come from the ocean and we do have the ocean in our backyard. If you wrap your mind around it, our ocean isn't turquoise blue because its polluted, it's the color of mud and sediment beneath it. If I take my boat out a few miles the water is pristine in every way shape and form.

Listen I took the number 12 bus to orchard beach. I grew up in Washington heights and orchard beach is the “bronx riviera”
No matter how much you improve that beach the location is not good. The reefs we have in our Tanks can’t survive close to the land. That’s why corals come from Fiji/ Australia because these places are remote.
Beaches even if they are clean are not idea places for corals to grow.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Just Google it. There's a lot.

No name one
I don’t know if any. I am talking about real life Expirience not google.
Anytime I would go to dive site it involved me getting in a boat for a few hours.
I don’t know if any natural coral reefs by the beach . So please show me

No name one
I don’t know if any. I am talking about real life Expirience not google.
Anytime I would go to dive site it involved me getting in a boat for a few hours.
I don’t know if any natural coral reefs by the beach . So please show me
Just Google it. Personally, I've scuba in Caribbean right off the beach, but there's more than just there.

Mickey, it would be interesting to see how your tank would respond to a transition to ASW if you were willing to try lol. That would really be the only way to know if your NSW approach is just as good, better or worse than ASW. To go along with that, do you test the water you use? ALK, Ca, Mg, Nitrate, and phosphate? Ever try an ICP?
My tanks are back and forth from NSW and ASW, maybe next year I'll set up dueling tanks and can write an article or book on it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Just Google it. Personally, I've scuba in Caribbean right off the beach, but there's more than just there.

Where In the Caribbean?
Every dive site in the Caribbean I have been on I spend 1-2 hrs oh a boat to get to the dive site. So please tell me 1 dive site i the Caribbean off the beach?
With the exception of the state park park in St. John that’s a man made reef

Where In the Caribbean?
Every dive site in the Caribbean I have been on I spend 1-2 hrs oh a boat to get to the dive site. So please tell me 1 dive site i the Caribbean off the beach?
With the exception of the state park park in St. John that’s a man made reef
If you really like diving, try reading up on reefs. The most common reef type is called a fringing reef and those are close to land and beaches. They are really all over the place in the Caribbean and they aren't man made. I'm pretty sure we dived off the beach on one of the Virgin Islands, but it could have been somewhere else. The tour operator had different packages, going out on a boat was an option as well, but we walked right in with the gear on the beach.

I forgot to mention that I also lived in Hawaii for a bit and we did some diving close to shore over there too.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you really like diving, try reading up on reefs. The most common reef type is called a fringing reef and those are close to land and beaches. They are really all over the place in the Caribbean and they aren't man made. I'm pretty sure we dived off the beach on one of the Virgin Islands, but it could have been somewhere else. The tour operator had different packages, going out on a boat was an option as well, but we walked right in with the gear on the beach.

I forgot to mention that I also lived in Hawaii for a bit and we did some diving close to shore over there too.

The virgin island
St Thomas no reef/ no diving great fishing
St. John great reef and snorkeling but like I said honey moon beach is a state park.
It protective man made reef.
St james no reefs
St croix no reefs

The virgin island
St Thomas no reef/ no diving great fishing
St. John great reef and snorkeling but like I said honey moon beach is a state park.
It protective man made reef.
St james no reefs
St croix no reefs
Not sure why you think that, but there's coral reefs all around all of those islands.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Not sure why you think that, but there's coral reefs all around all of those islands.

Ok name 1 dive site. I snorkel and dive everywhere I go. I am not passionate about a lot of things but this is one that I am. I don’t know if any please educate me.