• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thought on this Ebay PC bulb? - nano cube

Well, its almost time to get new bulbs in my tank, I happened to come across this on Ebay, please let me know what you think if you know anything about lighting systems...please:) Stock 24 NC dx comes with two 36W 50/50 10k/actinic bulbs, and is 16inches. I emailed this seller and he said his were 16.125 inches, so I am guessing it is the same size, just a slightly diff measurement. These bulbs are 12k and actinic....and ALOT cheaper than any other site. Let me know what you guys think, or should I stick with the JBJ brand from drsfostersmith for $25 a pop? Here is link to the sale...thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290431822146&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I bought my 36" 196w PC lights from topdogsellers my corals are doing good I'm sure they are the same bulbs made by Odyssea

that is a really good price. The fixtures are dirt cheap too. Hard to argue 9000 plus positive feedback against 30 negatives.

Buy 4 and save on shipping. That way you can get all colors and play around and see how it turns out. I liked a 50/50 and an actinic when I was running the stock hood. It ended up being too blue for me though.

Do actinics even provide wattage? I don't know if I can afford to even do that for my corals sake if they don't, with only 2 36 watt bulbs...right now I am using 2 50/50s.....would say...1 50/50 and one daylight be better for the corals than with actinics?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawkeye said:
that is a really good price. The fixtures are dirt cheap too. Hard to argue 9000 plus positive feedback against 30 negatives.
My 36" 196w PCs with moon lights was under $100.. one of the rubber nibs off the leg bracket was broken all i had to do was send a pic of it and they sent me two new brackets.. I only wanted the one

Wattage? Do you mean PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation)? Typically bulbs with with higher Kelvin ratings have lower PAR values than the "daylight" bulbs. But some studies have suggested that there are a wider varity of symbiotic zooanthellae that use blue light. So speaking in very broad generalities more blue light = more colorful corals and more white light = faster growth. Take your pick.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jcurry@wesketch said:
Wattage? Do you mean PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation)? Typically bulbs with with higher Kelvin ratings have lower PAR values than the "daylight" bulbs. But some studies have suggested that there are a wider varity of symbiotic zooanthellae that use blue light. So speaking in very broad generalities more blue light = more colorful corals and more white light = faster growth. Take your pick.
My daylight bulb is 12k.. all i know it's a lot better the the light the take came with

fantom - it depends....

I'd go with one daylight and one actinic. Or if you prefer less blue, one daylight and one 50/50.

Uvl has PC bulbs with reflectors in them. I would give those a shot. I would think one of each would be higher par output since they are dedicated. Just assuming that though.

i didn't know uvl made pc bulbs.

yes the reason for one of each is that the PAR should be higher in the single bulb - and the blue should be bluer in the single bulb. Don't take my word for it though - get all 4 bulbs and try them out.

The only downside with this is if the blue is in the front - you don't want to position a light-needy coral in the front of the tank.

Whereas with 2 50/50s - you couple place the coral anywhere (front or back) but you may not be able to place them as deep. How tall is your tank?

its a 24 gallon nano cube...im would have to measure, but I like to have corals everywhere, so Ill have to go with the 50/50....thanks for the advice, much appreciated.