• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tristian's 160GaL Peninsula Build

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm no expert, but doesn't Quinine also wipe out your bacteria? I thought it had to be used in a QT/hospital tank because of that.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure Paul is correct. The quinine will kill your biological filter. I wouldn't recommend dosing your display tank with any medication. If you want to use that product I would suggest doing it in a qt tank. If you don't have or can't set one up maybe try saftey stop from blue life. Its simple to use and pretty cheap. I believe its $5 or so for a packet. It's basically methylene blue and praziquantel.
Here's an article on it

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/26/safety-stop-bluelife-usa/

I'm no expert, but doesn't Quinine also wipe out your bacteria? I thought it had to be used in a QT/hospital tank because of that.

Here is the thing about that. This is my current stock.

2 Premium Snowflake Clowns (Mated Pair)
2 Sharknose Goby's (Mated Pair)
1 Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 African Flameback Angel
1 Heinocous Wrasse
1 6 Line Wrasse
5 Chromis
1 Carribbean Pygmy Angel
1 Yellow Jaw Fish
1 Marine Betta
1 FoxFace

My Tank as it stands was started with Dry Rock and Dry Sand. The rock was seeded using Dr Tim's and completed cycle in about 2.5 Weeks and was safe well before then.

After my tank cycled and the chromis went in to test the waters a friend of mine gave me a Hippo Tang for XMAS. He Also gave me the Sharknose Goby's. He intended to quarantine them but had to leave on a business trip and gave them to me instead. I made the choice to add them to my display knowing they were not yet quarantined but were showing no signs of issue.

Flash forward to this past Sunday in my efforts to alleviate Bob (Radiata) from holding my critters for much longer I retrieved all of my fish from his system and acclimated them to my own. They went in without issue. A while ago Bob had a mysterious illness that killed some of his fish and also had a kind of unknown algae growing in the 120 where my fish were being stored. My fish were unaffected but my corals were over-run with some of this algae that will be a challenge to fight.

I made the decision to treat my display based on the fact that I am able to isolate my SUMP From my display 100%, and that it would take too long to quarantine my fish in BATCHES over months that I don't have. This system has to be 100% up and automated before I leave for vacation in July for 2 weeks. I chose Quinine/Chloroquine based on a few facts.

1. Degrades Rapidly in Bright Light which will be good when I'm ready to rid my system of it.
2. Kills Algae but largely leaves the biological filter alone.
3. Even if the 5 day treatment completely decimates my biological filter building that back will take 2 bottles of Dr. Tim's and a week or two.
4. The medication is easily removed with just carbon and a poly filter and 1 or 2 water changes.
5. The medication will treat MULTIPLE issues and kill Ich ON the Fish, in Cysts, In Hibernation, In all stages of its life cycle.
6. The medication is largely indiscriminate and is safe for scale-less and delicate fishies.
7. My filtration is so oversized on this system that I will be able to manage nutrients with nothing more than water changes and skimming.
8. Goeman has done extensive study and tests with these chemicals and WetWebMedia has hundreds of play by play experiences using the chemicals.

I will accomplish in 7 Days what takes most ppl 60 days using traditional hypo-salinity and dangerous copper.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would hesitate adding to the display for one reason only... you have a fairly large group of fish in there now. If there is any problem with using this chemical, you could possibly wipe out a lot of them at once. I would at least QT 1 or 2 fish and try it in the QT. Then, if there are no issues with that batch you can try it in the DT. I'd hate to see an oops with such a big list of fish affected.

I have tried it already in another tank. Used correctly I trust this wayyy more copper or hypo. Just in case between my sump and my wife who monitors the tank while I'm at work I have about 70% of my water volume on standby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Tank Break.

Well I had a crazy weekend. The fish came out of qurantine in the big tank on Friday night. I did a 65 Gallon Water Change and then Disaster Struck!

Friday Night
1. My Mag 18 upon turning back on seemed to be extremely low pressure... After inspecting it my freaking impeller had snapped!!!!!! Darnit! It was a few years old though. Out to HiddenReef which had an impeller for purchase and I was back in action.
2. Then..... while there we found a deal on a TRIO of Maldives Anthias.. Male (Female+Female) and another beautiful Melanarus Wrasse.!! Couldn't pass it up so we picked them up and headed to PetCo for their Dollar Sale.
3. Got home and setup the Petco (Tetra ^~^ tank) and it wasn't even half full before it sprung a giant leak on the side pannel spilling about 5 gallons of water all over the floor!
4. Wife's PISSED and we mopped up the mess the wet dry had the water up off the floor in less than 10 minutes.

Saturday
5. Called the Tank Manufacturer... of course closed and then called petco. Petco said bring the tank back and they swapped it for us.
6. New Tank setup and alls well but we feel a little on edge about the tank itself sitting on the Dining Room table.. and we head out for a stand but cut the time too close and missed petco in Jersey. We decided to Try PA Petco's.

Sunday

7. Of course no Petco has a stand in place and they want like 60 dollars for some crappy chip board stand and hidden reef wants 85 for a ugly azz Pine Stand... No time to DIY.. I negotiated with the PetCo store to give me 20% off the Display model because the top was scratched and it was a bit old.
8. Finally home I added the Miracle mudd to my refugium after draining my whole sump. It clouded up PREEEEEEEEEETY bad... but I had my skimmer running which pulled the crud out pretty good.... Actually it was so good... that It overflowed and dumped like 25% of the crud back IN!.....

Monday

9. The next day the sump had been cleared up pretty well and the skimmer was back in action.

Hopefully between the Poly Absorb Media, The Carbon Reactor, and Another scheduled 30 Gallon Water Change Friday will seal the deal and get everything back in shape and ready for corals. The Waterchange alone allowed me to add my cleanup crew back in. My Urchin's been back in for over 24 hours and my snails are moving around and eating. Haven't seen 2 emerald crabs that I added a while back but I regretted adding them almost immediately after I added them. They can be trouble.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Damn,

you definitely had a busy weekend.

I honestly hate the Tetra tanks. I'm using one as my sump on my current build and now hoping it doesn't spring a leak like yours did. I'm glad you were able to get a replacement though.

I think the tetra tank's issue was quality control. I don't think that it was inherently bad just.. quality control was lax. I was planning to use on of the 10 gallon tanks on my frag tank build but instead I think that I will look for a cheap wetdry that I can fit a skimmer into.

Once I get a new house I definitely want to go with a peninsula set up. Now that you've had yours for a bit, how's the dimensions/size? Would you go bigger (longer/wider/higher)? Looks great
Thanks

very nice my friend! Those corals, those fish, that rock dayummm gurrrr you reef with that asssss?

Do you recommend the crypto-pro over hypo & copper? I have 3 tangs in QT right now and was debating if to hypo/copper/crypto.

I recommend crypto pro, using it right now and its worked wonders. however I have never done hypo or copper so I can't really compare

Like the look, especially the allowance of sps growth lateral, yet still allow for you to clean the glass. Well done my friend.

Jr yes I have a green female quaker parrot and a male bearded dragon in addition to my fish.

Brando, if you have an established biological filter in your quarantine then dose 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons for 7 days the 25% to 50% water change and redose for 7 more days. If no biofilter dose according to the bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk