• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tunicate, urochordate, sea squirt, sea pork??????

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Boomer for them links.. Well I did do the poke test and the siphon did retract.. But I have to agree with you about the color.. I forgot to mention the other day all the siphon's were closed
I will try to take a better pic later

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Better pics
IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893_1.jpg

That is a sponge. I'm working on a better ID than just sponge :) I have not see or can find anything quite like it yet.

Yah, I know and figured you might say that but did not expect to see them closed up that tight. I thought you just touched them and kinda pushed in the siphons and they rebounded back out. I have books on tunicates and have never seen one like that. I have sent the pic out to Les to look at it. Many tunicates are mis-ID as sponges and vs verse. You are often taught in ID class your first guess is the best. I thought tunciate but then said no I think it is a sponge. Now I'm second guessing myself on a group of animals, tunicates, I'm "suppose" to be really good a Id-ing ::) Now I see something I somehow missed before. Look at the siphons.................note they are kinda bowling pin shaped, a common trait of tunicates and not sponges. See I'm eating my own words you quoted above ::) And maybe a didemnid

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Boomer said:
Yah, I know and figured you might say that but did not expect to see them closed up that tight. I thought you just touched them and kinda pushed in the siphons and they rebounded back out. I have books on tunicates and have never seen one like that. I have sent the pic out to Les to look at it. Many tunicates are mis-ID as sponges and vs verse. You are often taught in ID class your first guess is the best. I thought tunciate but then said no I think it is a sponge. Now I'm second guessing myself on a group of animals, tunicates, I'm "suppose" to be really good a Id-ing :lol: Now I see something I somehow missed before. Look at the siphons.................note they are kinda bowling pin shaped, a common trait of tunicates and not sponges. See I'm eating my own words you quoted above :lol: And maybe a didemnid
when i started to try to ID it myself I thought sponge too until I come across a site about tunicates But can not find anything like the one I have.. I too have mad google skills too :) But thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.. Much Appreciated :)