• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

US: 56 coral species face extinction danger from warming, acidic seas

this is crazy. I had no idea some of these were that close. I mean one of them I can't stop growing in my tank haha. but in all seriousness this is a MAJOR issue & needs to be looked at further.

I'm really beginning to think that the only way to ensure survival of certain coral species will be to frag them and house them in marine aquariums a-la Sea World.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I became “first hand” aware of the devastation of our reefs when Ken Nedimyer of Coral Restoration Foundation came and talked at one of our meeting about 1 ½ to 2 years ago. I dove the Florida Keys in the early 70’s and found the coral plentiful….didn’t even give it a second thought. Ken showed pictures of the Florida waters with all the corals all dead. If I remember correctly I think he said it was the late 70’s when the corals were devastated. I was shocked. I now wonder if Ken is banging his head against the wall with temperature and acidification now working against him in his attempt to re-seed the Florida reefs.

Good stuff ERaquarist.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, the main problem is that people don't see a direct impact of global warming. Another big problem is that the big energy companies don't want us to choose alternative energy sources because that would cut into their profits.

It's a shame that global warming seems to be a myth when there's so much evidence that it's happening and it's hurting our world's ecology.

On a side note - I wonder what would happen if someone dumped a few tons of baking soda near a reef. Would that be enough to raise the pH and help with the acidification? I think a more educated person could figure out a better estimate in quantity and a method to dispurse it so that it doesn't shock the ocean... but you get my point, right? If it helps in our reef tanks, it might help in the oceans too.

Another big problem is that the big energy companies don't want us to choose alternative energy sources because that would cut into their profits.

It's a shame that global warming seems to be a myth when there's so much evidence that it's happening and it's hurting our world's ecology.

First: Everyone has the ability to choose alternative energy. In fact its basically shoved down our throats. Fact is that most altenative energy sources either have bigger impacts on the enviroment then fossil fuels or are just plain eyesores and noone wants them in there backyards.

Second: There is equal evidence against global warming.

The way I see it you cannot discount that humanity is affecting the planet in way or the other. We have devastated rain forest, poisoned water supplies, over fished the oceans, made plenty of species extinct due to our "whatever it takes" to make a buck at the expense of the planet mentality.

There will always be debates on one side or the other of any subject but you cannot discount that when you add the human factor into Natures equation the ultimate end result is change for the worse.

Arguments or discussion whether global warming exists is just political now. There are no legitimate scientists asserting that global warming doesn't exist. It's similar to trickle-down economics... Purely political, the actual economists agree that those policies failed in both the Reagan and Bush eras. Some folks feel like it invalidates their world to accept freely available facts.

That's why I still use 2" fluorescent NO tubes on my tank.