• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vacation planning

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Hello NJreefers! I need to plan for an upcoming vacation. I have a very reliable friend that can come over and feed them, really do what ever needs to be done. He is a smart guy, but doesn’t have an aquarium. He’s a great guy, just not his thing.

I’m looking for input as to what you guys do to plan for being away for a week or more? Any input is welcome. The more perspectives I can get the better to help me formulate my plan.

Dave

In the same boat actually my,main concern is the water top off, with my evaporation rate skipping just one day means the sump running dangerously low. I may fill the,sump as high as possible to leave some room for safety but still hopeing for the best. Also probably gonna make individual food blocks for each day

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I was away for 4 days for work. I showed my girls how to top off my tank everything else was on auto. I never left my tank alone for longer than that but my suggestion is give your friend a tour of you system. So him how it normally looks, sounds, etc... Tell him to contact you ASAP if something seems off.

Remember I am in town so if an emergency happens I might be able to help your friend out

If you don’t have an ATO, maybe you can cover the tank with a temporary hood to minimize water loss/keep stable salinity. I have a glass hood and lose very little water, and what I lose is probably because my fuge isn’t covered.

Last edited:
I would get those pill containers (M-F) and fill them with food for the day so all they have to do is open the designated day and pour it into the tank. (Dry foods only) That's how I did it. If you feed multiple times per day, get multiple medicine things and just add a time stamp to each one! Pretty fool proof.

I did the same thing, pre measured out my food for each day, and attached my ATO to my 32 gallon can, and also left 2 more 5 gallon buckets filled next to it incase they needed more.

If you want to go on vacation and come back to a tank just how you left it then you need vacation supplies.

You need to buy a ATO kit even if you don't install it permanently.
You need to buy a 2nd pump to be used as a back up return pump.
You do not need to feed the fish during vacation (1 week) but if you must, you can purchase an auto feeder.
If you have anemones than move your wave makers to the most extreme locations where the nems cannot possibly get to the wave makers.

Autotopoff.com has cheap and effective ATO.
Maxijet 600 is also cheap.
15 gallon trash can from HD.

2nd back up return pump will also cost less than $35.
Tubing from Home Depot.

Install the ATO.
Install the 2nd temporary return pump and run both, main and back up.

If you have someone that does not know about tanks come in to feed your fish you run the remote but real possibility of over feeding and skimmer issues.

If you are going on vacation for more than 1 week than get the auto feeder or have someone feed your fish every few days and leave the food pre-portioned and labeled.
If you have anthias, I have starved them for 1 week while on vacation and no issues.

Do not leave the top off and other stuff to someone that does not know tanks, automate it and when you get back home disassemble your vacation setup.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did the same thing, pre measured out my food for each day, and attached my ATO to my 32 gallon can, and also left 2 more 5 gallon buckets filled next to it incase they needed more.

I did this and labeled the baggies for each day to feed. When I did not have an ATO I filled gallon jugs and told the person 1g per day in the sump. I did not have any issues, knock on wood. Now with an ATO I have it marked and when on vacation will instruct them to check reservoir and if it hits that mark fill with the water I left for this purpose.

When I go away I make sure my ato reservoir holds enough water for the amount of time that I'll be gone, empty my skimmer cup but I have a float switch in there that will shut my skimmer off if it get to full. I have an apex auto feeder that will feed the tank so I don't worry about that. Also have different float switches at different levels in my sump that will alert me if something is wrong and a web came on the tank so I can look at and see if everything is ok.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
depends on how long you're going for. i've gone on vacation for 6 days and i didn't feed the fish and they were all fine. i only feed once a day normally and leading up to vacation i start feeding twice a day (get them fatter). if my inlaws are around, i'll have them come feed the tanks once while we're away. i leave the food portioned out in zip locks in the freezer clearly labeled with explicit instructions. keep my fingers crossed and wonder everyday how my tanks are doing:)

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Based on the responses I feel pretty confident. AWC pulls from a 55 gallon container @3gpd. The ATO pulls from a seperate 55 gallon rodi container as needed. The tank is managed by an apex. The only item I won't be able to control remotely is the kessil lights. You have to be on the local network for that. I've had the power go out for a hour, and they went right back to schedule. I think I may get a battery back up for the mp40s.

I'm thinking the only thing that has to be done is feed them. I'm broadcast feeding reef frenzy once a day, reef energy AB every other day, and direct feeding reefroids/coral candy once a week. I'm only going to feed them the frenzy while I'm away, I'll prebag the portions. My buddy can handle this part.

I think the only thing that really concerns me is the frag tank. It's small 18x18x8, about 10 gallons. I'm adding a power head to it very soon and I can hook up the battery back up for the display tank. I have no way of knowing if there is a flow issue like I would on the display. The line in is 1/2", the drain is 1" with a strainer covering the opening. What do you guys think, should I let it run as is, or should I turn it off and put the frags on sand bed of the display? I also have a small magnetic rack I can use for about half of them in the display.

Dave

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Based on the responses I feel pretty confident. AWC pulls from a 55 gallon container @3gpd. The ATO pulls from a seperate 55 gallon rodi container as needed. The tank is managed by an apex. The only item I won't be able to control remotely is the kessil lights. You have to be on the local network for that. I've had the power go out for a hour, and they went right back to schedule. I think I may get a battery back up for the mp40s.

I'm thinking the only thing that has to be done is feed them. I'm broadcast feeding reef frenzy once a day, reef energy AB every other day, and direct feeding reefroids/coral candy once a week. I'm only going to feed them the frenzy while I'm away, I'll prebag the portions. My buddy can handle this part.

I think the only thing that really concerns me is the frag tank. It's small 18x18x8, about 10 gallons. I'm adding a power head to it very soon and I can hook up the battery back up for the display tank. I have no way of knowing if there is a flow issue like I would on the display. The line in is 1/2", the drain is 1" with a strainer covering the opening. What do you guys think, should I let it run as is, or should I turn it off and put the frags on sand bed of the display? I also have a small magnetic rack I can use for about half of them in the display.

Dave
If the frag tank has been running for a while I'd let it be. Have your buddy just take a look at it and maybe send you a video to make sure it's ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk