• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

VIEWING BOX

Whitebird1 said:
also to add to don's comment - normal tank glass is naturally tinted green - which with the human eye we compensate but with a camera- you either need to fix the white balance - or live with it. Taking pics from above you avoid going thru the green tint.
Phyl, Never heard this before! More detail if you can.

Great idea, especially cause they're crystal clear
And a Great excuse for another Roast Beef Sandwich!
Greg
Straight off of google - in caes people think I am some kind of fountain of knowledge...hahaha:

Starphire Glass is an ultra-clear glass designed for a wide variety of commercial applications. Starphire Glass avoids the greening inherent in ordinary clear glass. Maintaining its remarkable clarity in any thickness, it's the ideal solution for emphasizing atriums, entranceways, entire building facades or for use in laminated applications.

In retail storefronts and displays, it highlights the displayed products' true colours. Splash backs are another excellent use for Starphire Glass. The high fidelity colour transmission of Starphire Glass makes it possible to incorporate true whites, pastels and other light colours. Starphire Glass is clearly the product to choose when looks are everything.
====

now my opinion - in smaller tanks there is zero need for starphire other than maybe because you feel likes pending the money. Point being that at a certain thickness the tint is really hardly noticable. But it is very apparent in larger thicker glass tanks. But then you get into the idea of using acryllic.

Greg great idea...practical..and it makes me hungery.

Starfire glass is a tradename from PPG(I think). Basically low iron glass which gives ordinary glass the green tint.

I have a big tank but I get good results by shoving my SLR into a 2.5 gallon fishtank anfloaring that in the tank. Just too lazy to make anything and too cheap to buy anything nice.

As silly as it sounds I built my own at left over parts around my home and stuff from my job.
I make glasses and there are non prescription lenses that are a standard round shape. I took one of those, cut it down to the right size, and used super glue to adhere it to a piece of PVC.
Total cost: negligible

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As silly as it sounds I built my own at left over parts around my home and stuff from my job.
I make glasses and there are non prescription lenses that are a standard round shape. I took one of those, cut it down to the right size, and used super glue to adhere it to a piece of PVC.
Total cost: negligible
Have a pic of one?

malulu

NJRC Member
last time Peter (fisheye) make one very quick and works "fairly" wells.

- he used one of those 100 pieces CD bundle case, like this:
51cmGJT8yjL._AA300_.jpg
- cut off the top, it would be uneven, but that is fine

- he then use the fine edged bottom clue it on a BLANK CD front case, like this type:
51J8zhjE4jL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
that is it!
go try it, it is easy and it works!
:D