• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What about this as a return pump?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a nice pump. Wish I had a tank big enough for something like that too.

Actually, I wish I had a tank big enough to put something like this to use...
KRT Pumps - Cape May.jpg

That's my cousin/boss standing between the pumps we installed down in Cape May, NJ. They are designed for wastewater (sewage), but man do they handle some serious flow! :eek:

Looks like a nice pump. Wish I had a tank big enough for something like that too.

Actually, I wish I had a tank big enough to put something like this to use...
View attachment 9197

That's my cousin/boss standing between the pumps we installed down in Cape May, NJ. They are designed for wastewater (sewage), but man do they handle some serious flow! :eek:

Nice. I did work at a wastewater plant once....everything I had with me smelled like crap for at least a week :upset:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is timely about big pumps. My wife dragged me to Longwood Gardens (built by Dupont), just south of Philly, for her birthday. One of the things they had was a man-made waterfall, and the first thing that hit my little beany button was, "Those pumps must be enormous!" On our little map of the gardens it stated the water fall began at the "Eye of Water." I was puzzled about what that might be. We walked past the waterfalls and up the path, following the water flowing past. Well, I can only say, it looked just like a big blue eye with the pupil the outflow for the water being pumped back up to the top of the waterfalls. Here's a video of the "Eye" and the water passing down a short river to the waterfall.

Still would llike to see the pumps pumping this water.....must be enormous.

They say they are doing 8,000 gpm at startup and levels out to 5,000 gpm. That is just a crap load of water. I would be interested to see how many pumps they have in the pump house. I actually am doing work with the group that designed the renovation of Longwood Gardens.

radiata

NJRC Member
This is timely about big pumps. My wife dragged me to Longwood Gardens (built by Dupont), just south of Philly, for her birthday. One of the things they had was a man-made waterfall, and the first thing that hit my little beany button was, "Those pumps must be enormous!" On our little map of the gardens it stated the water fall began at the "Eye of Water." I was puzzled about what that might be. We walked past the waterfalls and up the path, following the water flowing past. Well, I can only say, it looked just like a big blue eye with the pupil the outflow for the water being pumped back up to the top of the waterfalls. Here's a video of the "Eye" and the water passing down a short river to the waterfall.

Still would like to see the pumps pumping this water.....must be enormous.

Paul,

That video puts Longwood Gardens on my bucket list!

Thanks,
Bob

Still would llike to see the pumps pumping this water.....must be enormous.

Paul, if you hiked up the stairs to the right of the falls you would see the return pipes to supply all that water. Remember the display fountains in front of the conservatory? If I remember correctly they burn through about 10,000 gallons of water a minute!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pete, You are talking about the Main Fountains directly across from the Conservatory....
fountov.jpg

I actually found two pictures of the pumps that supply water to those fountains ...this first one purposely made to look old in B&W:

Pump-Works.jpg

And this second one that I think is truely old:

92182.jpg

I could not find anything about the pumps for the Eye of Water. So, we walked up a path from the bell towers to the Eye and saw no pipes that you mention. However, we were not looking for pipes. We walked back the same way and walked down the stair in the bell tower to the lower pond.

And Bob, I think it is worth a visit. Although by the end of the day I was burnt out on plants....ready to go.