• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what are you using for your return pump

Just wondering what people are using for the overflow return pumps. I see a lot use in sump mag drives, havent seen many people using external pumps or maybe Im just missing it. Let me know what youre running, size/gph/etc...

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're using a Sequence 5800. It's an external pump that does 5800gph at 0'. It's a great pump. It's really quiet and dependable. The manufacturer has very good customer service too.

I'm using mag 9.5 but will be switching to Sequence 5800 like JohnS_323. Mags put out to much heat. Good pumps though. Never had a problem with them.

Althought it is probably not the most efficent, i use a Mag-9.5 for my return pump for the display tank (180g) and a Mag-7 for the return pump to my Refugium (55g) and a Mag-18 for my MCR-II Skimmer.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I a huge quiet one fan.
December was a sad month for me after almost 20 years,yes 20 I had to throw my quiet one in the garbage it seized up. :'(
I now run quiet one 4000's for returns. :D

I use 2 pressure rated Panworlds. Model 40PX and a Model 150PS. I run the smaller pump as a back up, ideally they are both on different house circuits on GFI, so if one trips the other pump still runs... once I finish wiring the float switch up.
The 150PS had its stock fan removed and an aftermarket heatsink fitted. I also have a fan blowing across both pumps because the 40px does not have a fan in stock trim.

are most of these pumps feeding other things than the overflow returns? My 180 is only rated for 600gph flow for each overflow so that would be 1200 gph so maybe a 1800-2000gph pump I would think... Im having a hard time keeping up with the 1780gph pump I have not, its throttled back about 1/4 turn. The pump has to go, i put sytrofoam on the floor and walls and the cooling fan is just too loud to be in my bedroom, ill never sleep. I would like to go with a sequence pump but even the 750 is rated for a lot more flow then my tank can handle. What would you guys recommend? I have a dart powering my spray bars and 2 koralia 4s in there right now, but I need something quiter to for main pump. Im amazed how quiet the dart is. I have a sequence 750 that I use on my QT tank for koi, but i dont know if its rated for salt

WHat pump are you currently running?

PrettyBoy said:
are most of these pumps feeding other things than the overflow returns? My 180 is only rated for 600gph flow for each overflow so that would be 1200 gph so maybe a 1800-2000gph pump I would think... Im having a hard time keeping up with the 1780gph pump I have not, its throttled back about 1/4 turn. The pump has to go, i put sytrofoam on the floor and walls and the cooling fan is just too loud to be in my bedroom, ill never sleep. I would like to go with a sequence pump but even the 750 is rated for a lot more flow then my tank can handle. What would you guys recommend? I have a dart powering my spray bars and 2 koralia 4s in there right now, but I need something quiter to for main pump. Im amazed how quiet the dart is. I have a sequence 750 that I use on my QT tank for koi, but i dont know if its rated for salt

jscReed said:
WHat pump are you currently running?

PrettyBoy said:
Right now it is a coral life turbe sea 1748 or some number like that in the 1700s. Fan is super super loud

I didnt hook up my dart to the closed loop yet, do you think I can just put the dart for my returns and feed the 2 overflow returns and my phos reactor when I get it? Then either go with another dart or maybe a hammerhead for my closed loop spray bars?

id still like to use my dart pump because i dont think it gets quiter than that and I love sequence pumps, but is it ok to throttle it back down that much?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Instead of throttling down a pump, which I don't really recommend, you could come out of the pump and into a T. Have one leg of the T go to your display tank and the other one return back to your sump. Put a ball valve on the leg going to the sump and use it to control the excess flow. If you find you're getting too much flow to your display tank, open the valve a little. If you need more flow to your display, close it a little. This method works very well. Plus it allows you to buy a bigger pump that will grow with you as your needs increase.