• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what are you using for your return pump

I use a MAG 18. Use to have a MAG 24 but it was too noisy plus released too much heat. The 18 is huge difference on the heat and nosie.

yeah i dont think they are even making a mag-24 any more.

i have heard a good rule of thumb regarding return pumps for a display tank is 3-5 times the tanks volume. my tank is 180g, so use a mag-9.5 which 5.2 times the tank volume before head loss. i use a mag-7 to pump water into my fuge b/c i like the have more water movement to circulate throughout the live rock and macro algae. the fuge is 55g with a corner overflow, but the return is sprayed through a 1/2 pvc tube with many holes pointing in different directions (including towards the surface for aggitation). i am also running a mag-18 for my skimmer. i dont really see that these pumps are producing all that much heat to be honest with you. but as far as electrity wise, this is probably not a very efficent method.

I run a Sequence 3200 & use all 4 holes in my overflows as drains
& i also feed a fuge with the same pump & just in case i it was to much
flow i had it T back to the sump but never had to open it.
this pump is great the only sound i hear is the vivration because
I dint use any pads under the pump but it's in the garage so i dont worry about it
Sequence3200.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
it is a bit noisy... but it is in the basement, so i hardly hear it...
;)

the reason i got it, cause many said they are running for long time without problem, hope it is true with mine.
:D

PrettyBoy said:
malulu said:
Iwaki 70-RLT. (Iwaki 100-RLT as backup)
:D
how is the noise on that? someone just recomended the iwaki 70 to me and was thinking about getting it