• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What it’s the best macro algae to control phosphate?

Just trying to address my phosphate issues. My nitrates are always around 5ppm but phosphate go out of hand.
Now I’ve been dosing phosphat-E very slowly and almost at 0.05.
Now the macro is to keep it at that level.
Any advice will be very appreciated
Thanks in advance

I've tried multiple macros, some got eaten, one melted , others do fine, but I've yet to see one control phosphates well. I think bc if the red field ratio, there really won't be much deviation between them, only whatever is the limiting factor. Some take up more calcium, alk, iron etc... but cheato and calupra seem to be the best for nutrient control. My tank is a extremely heavy bio load and nitrates are below 5ppm, phos are .5+, probably close to 1.

D

Deleted member 27248

Dragons breath by far...I need to dose phosphate daily to keep my numbers where I want them. Also fern calerpa grows very fast too.

D

Deleted member 27248

Ok so this 2 will be what I’ll look for!!!
Fern chaeto
Dragon breath
Do tang eat dragon breath as it’s a nice looking algae?
Haha yes they will devour it very quickly! Mine also eat the fern.

john90009

NJRC Member
Where do you plan to keep the macro? I know they make these hang on the back(or side of your tank) but they are only about the size of a brick. The plants prefer a whiter light so if it gets the ab spectrum from your lights, it won’t thrive as well as if it was getting a more white/yellow/red spectrum.

Where do you plan to keep the macro? I know they make these hang on the back(or side of your tank) but they are only about the size of a brick. The plants prefer a whiter light so if it gets the ab spectrum from your lights, it won’t thrive as well as if it was getting a more white/yellow/red spectrum.

I getting this leds light that looks like a heater. I’ll put right in the back with a timer.