• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What it’s the best macro algae to control phosphate?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Back in the day I had a basement system and a dedicated tank growing cheato. It worked really well. But I would not grow cheato in the sump. Too messy because of the lighting. I like a clean sump.

When dosing carbon cyano is part of the game. This happens when the phosphate is dropped to zero. Dial back on the dosing the cyano almost always disappear for me. My tank is ultra low in nutrients now without dosing and it also has cyano from time to time. just have to increase feeding. When carbon dosing, always test for phosphate and nitrate levels weekly and adjust as needed.

Back in the day I had a basement system and a dedicated tank growing cheato. It worked really well. But I would not grow cheato in the sump. Too messy because of the lighting. I like a clean sump.

When dosing carbon cyano is part of the game. This happens when the phosphate is dropped to zero. Dial back on the dosing the cyano almost always disappear for me. My tank is ultra low in nutrients now without dosing and it also has cyano from time to time. just have to increase feeding. When carbon dosing, always test for phosphate and nitrate levels weekly and adjust as needed.
My phosphate are so high that my Hanna ultra low can’t read it. It blinks too

Attachments

• D86060F2-AAC1-45A1-9744-563829AD59D1.jpeg
    D86060F2-AAC1-45A1-9744-563829AD59D1.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 3
I use cheato and dose potassium nitrate. Keeps phosphates undetectable not to mention just enough nitrates to say I have some. Never made sense to me until I found out that cheating takes up nitrate faster than phosphate. As such, I dosed nitrate to cheato will take up both fast. Love it

Got this from maximusreef
I don’t have the light yet it’s been a little bit busy but I’ll place it on the side with a little container like that one in the picture

Attachments

• E7B88316-2F6E-4D8A-A374-E749E46E9B44.jpeg
    E7B88316-2F6E-4D8A-A374-E749E46E9B44.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • A434EE55-7E27-4F77-B2CE-2EB204C2B071.jpeg
    A434EE55-7E27-4F77-B2CE-2EB204C2B071.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 9