• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What kind of Skimmer and why?

Hey all, debating the possibility of getting a new Skimmer. Mines about 3 years old, an octopus nw200. Works well I'd say, but I really don't have anything to judge it against.

I know there are a lot of new Skimmers out, some recirculating, cones, some that feed directly out of a biopellet reactor, Id like to get a list of what kind of tanks everyone is running and the Skimmers they use. Also if you could post if your a heavy, light, etc feeder. I feed but once every other day probably. So I'm light and would get less skimmate.

Any responses Are appreciated! :)

falconut

NJRC Member
Mine is far from a new skimmer. I've got a 7+ year old ASM G-2 in my 90 gallon mixed reef. I'd say my bioload is medium to heavy and I feed a cube of food every day and sometimes on weekends twice a day. I am running the stock Sedra 3500 with a mesh mod impeller and it is working good.

I was considering on upgrading recently and heard good things about SWC, Bubble Magus, Super Reef Octopus and Avast. They were the ones in my price range. There were plenty of others in a higher price range. The complain on the SWC and the BM were the pumps, some issues with restart I believe. But, many people have and love the production they get from them.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
At 75g you are going to have a ton of choice across the price points. I have a swc 120 on my 45g and it is a beast, they also make ones that are bigger (obviuosly) and I know people who like those as well. They are tough to get right now due to a legal SNAFU that the distributor is in, so I believe it is eshops makes one that is almost identical and is available. AO has those in if you want to talk to them. On my 57g I have the BM 6.5 which I also like a lot and would recommend them as well.

The complain on the SWC and the BM were the pumps, some issues with restart I believe. But, many people have and love the production they get from them.

Mine would be a bit small but im running an BM3.5 on my nano. Love it. I bought it on the recommendation of other BM users. Though the only problem i have is bubble production changes if i accidently bup it or move it. Then it takes a few min. to get back to right.

my last skimmer was a mrc2 which pulled well but was very noisy. on this tank im now running a swc120 and it works well.
not the best picture but my external mrc2
IMG_3401.jpg

not cleaning the cup in about 1-2 weeks on the swc120;
P1010241.jpg

comparing the 2.

both are good at gunk production
mrc has too much noise/bulky

2 different style skimmers to compare but if i had to re-buy only one, it would be the swc. i now have no skimmer noise and get just as, if not better results.

I'm running a Super Reef Octopus 3000 XP INT on my 220fowlr. I have large angels and tangs and feed every day. Ive been running this skimmer for only three weeks now and its already pulling some serious stuff. Its also very easy to clean. You can get it from Premium Aquatics at a decent price. Too bad you didnt get one during the PA group buy.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Will this be for your tank or your girfriends new nano?

I used to have an AquaC EV-120 on my 75G, running a Mag 7 (came with my tank package when I bought it used). When the pump went on it, I decided to just get a new one. If you have a suitable pump to run it and want to borrow it to try it out , just let me know. It's on the shelf in the garage for a "rainy day".

I now have the BM NAC 7 cone skimmer. Very happy with it's performance. I can clean the cup out and turn it on... within 5-10 minutes it's already taking brown/green stuff out.

Also, my sump design is such that the skimmer section is always the same level, so things like turning my return pump off or sticking my hands in the tank doesn't affect my skimmer. I think that's important with many skimmers and if your skimmer chamber fluctuates you will get varying performance with just about any internal skimmer.

Nah, my tank. Im throwing an aquaticlife 115 on her tank. Ive just not been extremely satisfied with what this guy is pulling out, i think the pump might be dying. sometimes even all the way closed, the foam doesnt reach halfway up the neck. It works most of the time but on occasion it wont pick up for like a day or so.

i know u all are not gonna think this is a good skimmer, but im running a odysea ps 160 with a rio 1700 and this thing is a beast. probably the best 140.00 ive spent on the tank so far.

swc hands down.. great price and the same if not better quality as the ones that cost 3x as much. I have the 250 and it is sweet

kevin

NJRC Member
I have a Warner Marine MF121. This is my first skimmer, so I guess I'm not really any help, hah. I was having problems with the impeller, but Jon Warner is pretty good with warranty & helping. Finally got it up & running for real yesterday & it seems to be doing the job well as far as I can tell!

Just me but that is/was good skimmer so why blow your bucks on something that doesn't need replacing...when the pump goes then it goes IMHO. Sorry late response but hey mine is the cheapest one.:grin:

I have a swc, great skimmer BUT I would not buy it again.
1 I had an issue with the pump, and getting a replacement under warranty was a pita. They wanted the pump first with no option to give a cc and return the broken one.

2 I decided to just buy the pump, but I could not find anyone in the US that stocked them and they wanted $30 to ship a $35 pump from Canada. I had a friend who lives up there order it for me with only $10 shipping.

3 the owner has been convicted with illegally importing 20,000 pounds of banned live rock.

I was almost going to buy a new one b/c of number 3.

If you buy it used, none of the money goes to SWC. There's a guy on reefcentral trying to sell his swc160 with 2 extra pumps for like 210$ which is decent price.

It may not be in your price range or even suitable for your tank, but i think the Avast black pearl is just straight sexy! If i ever had a system that needed something that big and found the money in the street (I realize my best bet is going to be in the fall during leaf pick up, so yeah that is me going through your leafs :grin:) I would totally get one. Or even better, they should make a smaller cheaper one.