• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whats the paintman been up to???????????

Wow I can' believe I finally got in! Had all kinds of issues with my computer and could not log in with new password. Anyway just an update, progress has been reeeaaaal slowwwww but moving. I have the sump almost plumbed and trying to decide on lighting, I think all t'5s.
Should have water in it for a leak test by the end of the month.

I have been seriously distracted from my tank by my truck. I wanted to drive it for a year but just found to many things I didn't trust so it was time to tear it apart.
Anybody know why the previous pics of my truck disappeared from the thread? Anyway here is a refresher.
This is what it looked like before
IMG_3338.jpg

And as it sits now
IMG_0606.jpg

Current pic of upstairs tank
IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Everything looks great, we just put up the thread asking for meeting hosts and I would love to make it back up to your place.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Everything looks great, we just put up the thread asking for meeting hosts and I would love to make it back up to your place.
+1, It was unfortunate that I had to miss your meeting and I would love to have another shot at it!

Welcome back Stan!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Love that open brain….maybe a Trachyphyllia radiate?

I like the paint job on the truck….it fits the age of the truck. Don’t know if it’s oxidized paint or just a red-lead primer, but I think it looks good. I also wished my garage looked like that. Other than the truck, the only things I see are jack stands and a snow shovel. If I were to take a picture of my garage, you wouldn’t see the walls!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Stan, what's up with the truck? Is that progress or regress? :grin:

Tank is looking great too!

Paul, I think you're right. It looks a lot like my Trachy, only a bit bigger. Here's mine for comparison:

IMG_0655.jpg

Ok as promised here is some pics of the new sump. At first the plan was to just relocate the existing sump I have. I figured how hard could it be to move it 4 feet over and 3 feet down as it sits just on the opposite side of the new tank. Well after further consideration I felt that was just a recipe for disaster, just to much to try and do in 1 day. Move all the corals, plumb the sump to the new tank, fix any leaks, etc. etc. etc. So then I figured I would just get another 125 gal.tank and build my own sump. Then I remembered when I built my existing sump all the trouble I had getting the glass shop to cut the baffles the right size. First attempt they cut them to big the next time they cut them to small. So I just decided to say the hell with it and buy a sump.

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Next step is to decide on a return pump. I am leaning towards a Ree Flo Dart because they are damn near dead silent. I am currently running my upstairs tank with Iwaki MD55's one for the return and one for the skimmer. They are good pumps but when I am downstairs watching TV I can hear the whine they make inside the sump room. And that's through an insulated wall.

Hmm it seems I am still having trouble with this damn web site. Everything worked fine when I posted the last set of pics. Now over the last couple of days I have tried to post pics of the sump. I log in, I get thanked for logging in, I post a reply, I get told the reply will be posted after review and nothing ever appears. Now today I log in on the homepage, and again I get thanked for logging in. Then I go to post a reply to my thread ,and I am told I am not logged in. Sooooo I log in and once again get thanked ( how nice of you guys! LOL), so lets see this time if it works.

New sump
IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Well I finally got off my cheap butt and spent some money and got something accomplished. I couldn't decide what return pump I wanted. I am currently using Iwakis on my upstairs tank and they make way to much noise for my new tank in the Rec room. I had used a Dart pump in the past for a closed loop so I knew they where almost dead silent. In fact the one I had was so quiet I sometimes had to put my ear up to it just to make sure it was running. So that's what I decided on. Its rated for 3600 gph which is way to much for my 200 gals. but I am hoping that with the way I am running my return lines up over the top of the tank with all the elbows, plus running my reactors off of it, it will throttle itself back. If not I can always use the valves to slow the flow down. Well lets see if I can post some pics.

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Not that anyone cares but the other reason its taking me so long is I still have the other distraction in my garage. I have been busy removing the old AMC Pacer hack job of a front end that was in the truck, and installing a new Mustang II front end!
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
Hm, good to see that the Mustang II was good for something!!!

Glad to see things are coming together!

Hm, good to see that the Mustang II was good for something!!!

Glad to see things are coming together!
Actually, let me clarify, Its not a front end out of an actual Mustang. Its a brand new front end custom by a hot rod shop based on Mustang II geometry. All the calipers, spindles, and ball joints are off the shelf parts but the control arms and cross member are custom made for each individual vehicle

I finished mocking up the drain lines kind of like the Bean style overflow. I am hoping this works and the box is not to shallow for this style of stand pipe. The center pipe is my oh S&%# overflow. I am debating whether or not to paint the overflow box black to keep the light out so no algae will grow inside.
IMG_0980.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, I would just put a black lid on it, or paint the top piece of glass black. That way, you can view the overflow box from the back to make sure nothing escaped your tank and is hiding in there (fish, snails, etc.)

Where does that emergency drain go? To the sump? Or, to a sink drain or something?

Last edited: