• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which carbon do you guys use

I use to use rox carbon but you can buy bituminous carbon in bulk for much cheaper and it does the same thing. Rox might work faster and have a little less dust but is it worth the extra money.
Others may say no. But personally. Yes it is more than worth it. I hate carbon mess and it does clean better.

What kind of liquid food you guys use zoo plankton?
This one Is difficult to give a specific answer as I like to feed a variety. And I like to change it up. I have no idea what nutrition all the different organisms need. I mean we have a rough idea. But for me not enough to pinpoint it so I am very comfortable with mixing it up. However, there is one product that I can say definitively has and is making an absolute difference in the appearance of our mini reef. And that’s amino acids. Every coral in every tank. The fish, the inverts. EVERYTHING shows an absolute improvement in color. Of course I say this with the assumption that deeper brighter color and fatter swollen tissue is an improvement because I like the way it looks. I never actually asked them if they do. :oo:

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
This one Is difficult to give a specific answer as I like to feed a variety. And I like to change it up. I have no idea what nutrition all the different organisms need. I mean we have a rough idea. But for me not enough to pinpoint it so I am very comfortable with mixing it up. However, there is one product that I can say definitively has and is making an absolute difference in the appearance of our mini reef. And that’s amino acids. Every coral in every tank. The fish, the inverts. EVERYTHING shows an absolute improvement in color. Of course I say this with the assumption that deeper brighter color and fatter swollen tissue is an improvement because I like the way it looks. I never actually asked them if they do. :oo:
which product do you use for the aminos

I can only tell you my experience. And it has been a game changer for me. But I do understand it could be because it is making up for something I am lacking elsewhere

I've been using aminos from zeo, but it's almost gone. I just ordered the 4 part coral colors from red sea. Gonna try that and see how it goes. I used the zeo 4 part system and every time I dosed it, after 3 weeks i started getting algae issues.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I use the Red Sea Reef Energy A(carbs) and B(amino and vitamins). The directions state: fluctuations in nitrate and phosphate levels as wells as the development of bio-film on rocks or an algae breakout are signs that dosing changes may be necessary. My tank just developed a beige hair algae so I am backing off on dosing.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i use whatever carbon is cheaper at the time of me purchasing, I currently am going though red sea reef spec carbon and its like ROX. on the usual though, I get the ebay stuff, works just as well. a bit more dust but a few dunk is RO water clears it up or if used in a canister, i change out the carbon before a water change and then pull the output to a bucket and let the tank clean out the carbon with the water i was taking out.

as far as food, I use ME Aminos, Acropower and Brightwell Aminos. I was given some aquaforest and i've been trying those out.

Ironically. May be unrelated. But algae is no longer a problem since aminos. Again. Probably a coincidence but either way it certainly did not make it Worse.