• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who is running Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO)????????

I was visiting the chemistry forum at reef central and came across a topic on GFO. This is the first time I heard of it. Supposedly it helps lower phosphate. Is anyone here using this media? Can you share your experience with us?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phosban, rowafas (sp?), GFO.

We run it in a Phosban reactor from TLF. It works very well. We did a group buy on it a few months back and I believe Billy still has some 5# lots for 32$ available to members.

C

concept3

I use it, but sparingly. I don't like using something "unnatural" too much for too long and too quickly. I find it upsets the natural equilibrium of an established tank especially if it's been running for a while. Best to use with caution and follow the directions!

I notice the film algae on my glass reduces whenever I recharge the reactor with new media.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
32$/5#... not too bad, all things considered with this hobby.

KatiAni has a product that's been in use over seas for quite a while that removes PO4/Trate from the running system. Bruce will be speaking a bit about KatiAni at the meeting this weekend. Hopefully he'll shed some light on that as well.

all the phosban reactor is, is a bag of rust.. iron oxide, just make sure that you change it very often or phosphates will just leech back into your system.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The thing that differenciates the Phosban REACTOR from a bag of rust is active v. passive. Passively running a bag of GFO in your sump is not as effective pushing water through it actively.

That and the complication of the average hobbiest finding a purified bag of rust.

very true. but if you could push water through a chamber with iron oxide in it, that is the same thing as a phosban reactor correct?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unless the flow HAS to go through the GFO no. All water flowing through a PO4 reactor HAS to come in contact with the GFO. In a bag in a chamber of the sump there is a path of least resistance. The outter portions of the media bag will come in greater contact with water than the inner portions of the media bag.

radiata

NJRC Member
ricwilli,

Randy Holmes-Farley knows more about minireef water chemistry than everyone at NJRC combined (unless maybe Craig Bingman and/or "Boomer" belong to NJRC). Trust him...

Bob D.

ricwilli said:
I was visiting the chemistry forum at reef central and came across a topic on GFO. This is the first time I heard of it. Supposedly it helps lower phosphate. Is anyone here using this media? Can you share your experience with us?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Phyl said:
Phosban, rowafas (sp?), GFO.

We run it in a Phosban reactor from TLF. It works very well. We did a group buy on it a few months back and I believe Billy still has some 5# lots for 32$ available to members.

Phyl, what has the feedback been with this type of phos media, that was leftover from the group buy?? Which name brand is it?? Is it still available?? Thanks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've had fantastic results with the GB GFH. It isn't a name brand though it is similar to one of the name brands (Rowaphos). We do have a few lots left over (5# lots) and are checking pricing for the next buy for it we're about to kick up. I expect (like everything else) that the price will be going up a bit. The price of gas is rolling downhill, big time.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
OK great if there is any still available, I will take one of the lots. If I could get it at the meeting that would be great. I probably wont be able to make it, but Mike Scotto could pick it up for me.

Should I give him the cash or use Paypal, whichever is easier LMK.

Thanks!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Easier to paypal it over (33.26). One less thing to worry about at the meeting. Thanks!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Phyl said:
Easier to paypal it over (33.26). One less thing to worry about at the meeting. Thanks!

Will do today. Can you please inform whoever has it, to bring it to the meeting, if not I can pick it up somewhere. Thanks Phyl!!!

I use the Phoslock GFO made by Pura. Pretty much the same as RowaPhos. I run it in a Fluval 203. I keep it in a media bag spread out and sandwiched between two filter pads so it doesn't clump up. I think I use about half the recommended amount.

Supposedly clams don't like the stuff according to the mod @ Clamsdirect.com. I have two Croceas and they seem fine though. Be sure you rinse it very well.