• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who is running Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO)????????

No, asking where the group buys from. I use bulkreef. was just wondering. $30/5 lbs is sweet esp if it's the pellets and even more if it's the high capacity stuff

Why do you want to use pellets? In my opinion they need some other kind of additive to make a pellet. Just one more thing we don't need in our tanks. I would personally stick with the granular.

The pellets are harder, have a more uniform shape/size and lose less material into the water. They also contain slightly more phosphate removing material for the same volume of material. Pellets work well in reactors but can also be used in a simple filter bag.

it all starts as powder as it is refined.......

Spheres would be a better choice as they can assure even flow through the entire mass without causing unrestricted channels. This maximizes the contact with the media.

And the importer is? BRS does not agree with that assessment and I believe they get their material from the sole manufacturer which makes them an importer.

You are correct, although I think they either bought it (and have the old company as an affiliate or subsidiary) or were looking to sell it off to a smaller company. I remember seeing the article in one of the Chem mag's I have around here.

BRS isn't willing to part with some of the info ( I can paste the email exchanges) but still recommends pellets over granular stuff (binder or not). Actually they also have some high capacity GFO as well.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
CaptainAhab said:
You are correct, although I think they either bought it (and have the old company as an affiliate or subsidiary) or were looking to sell it off to a smaller company. I remember seeing the article in one of the Chem mag's I have around here.

I think I read somewhere that Seimiens bought it.

Bayer, Seimens, Hoechst(a former employer), Agfa all are just divisions of IG Farben that still exists somewhere in a secret backroom in Germany. ;)

Of corse BRS does not agree....They probably have a ton of it sitting around that needs to be sold. Why would they tell you the granular is better?

Other than the fact that their combined experience with the product probably far exceeds yours and they have direct access to the manufacturer. That's their credentials. Yours are?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We all have our differnces of opinion. Please try to keep the tone of this conversation a little more civil.