• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Would you buy a leaking tank?

Ive lately seen a couple of people trying to sell tanks that have a leak somewhere (larger tanks) but are selling for really good prices. Ive seen these on craigslist and in some LFS.
Personally I have never resealed a tank and dont know if I feel comfortable doing so but if its a good enough deal would you buy the tank know that it already had a leak?
Sometimes its tempting :eek2:

My first reef tank was a 46G bowfront I got for free and it was basically garbage. No prior experience with silicone or really any DIY stuff like that, and first try I got it just fine and no leaks until I shut it down over a year later since I got a bigger tank. I would say go for it. Even if it does leak, you could always sell it as a terrarium or maybe to someone better experienced with resealing tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't trust myself enough. Small or large tank, if the seal doesn't hold, that's 40 gallons on the floor.

The hard part would be carefully removing the old silicone. A plastic or acrylic scraper, so you don’t scratch the glass. I wouldn’t just fix the leaky spots. Do it all. Then masking tape It all nice an neat. Apply 100% pure silicone. It doesn’t have to be for a fish tank, just make sure it’s 100% pure (aka no fungicides). Peal off the tape Immediately while the sealant is wet. 24 hours to cure at room temperature. When you fill it up, Put baby powder on the outside of the seams. If there’s a slow seep, you will see the powder absorb it. I find leaks and seeps in aircraft fuel cells with the baby powder trick.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't.

I have a 150 RR that leaks on the bottom if you want it for free.

I wouldn't. You can pretty much buy tanks at cost if you wait for the right time. Most shops sells them close to that since their profit margins are all in the livestock. They make more money by selling tanks to people who buy the livestock. At least that's how I see it.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The hard part would be carefully removing the old silicone. A plastic or acrylic scraper, so you don’t scratch the glass. I wouldn’t just fix the leaky spots. Do it all. Then masking tape It all nice an neat. Apply 100% pure silicone. It doesn’t have to be for a fish tank, just make sure it’s 100% pure (aka no fungicides). Peal off the tape Immediately while the sealant is wet. 24 hours to cure at room temperature. When you fill it up, Put baby powder on the outside of the seams. If there’s a slow seep, you will see the powder absorb it. I find leaks and seeps in aircraft fuel cells with the baby powder trick.
This^^^^^

erics210

NJRC Member
I have done both reseals and total rebuilds.

Option #1 Reseal....EASY. Scrape away the old...Tape off and reapply the 100% silicone to all edges and corners in one quick shot.
Most small leaks could be eliminated with a nice RESEAL. IF the original leak was via an edge or corner you should get it covered! If not maybe a slow leak again and use as a snake/reptile tank.

Option #2.
A Rebuild is a TON more work. If you do THIS wrong, you run the risk of a catastrophic tank failure and 150 gallons instantly on the floor.
I would definitely give it a go...Try a reseal and see how it does.

I bought a cheap 75 gallon from someone on Craigslist and resealed the entire tank. Haven't had any issues yet. I used ge silicone frome home Depot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk